Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata

I've been playing the Piano for 2 years and people say I'm incredible. Now I'm practicing Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata and I just want to hear people's opinions about the difficulty of it. I'm just curious :-D. And please don't tell me it's the easiest piece Beethoven ever wrote. >:

Originally posted by Ludwig Amadeus Schubert:
    ...And please don't tell me it's the easiest piece Beethoven ever wrote. >:
    Not the easiest, but from what I have read it is one of B's easier sonatas to play technically. Of course the technical element is just a piece of the pie.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

You've done well to progess to this level in just two years - the main technical difficulty is of course the left hand tremolo, but slow and careful practice should get you over that hurdle.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, it is a rather easy piece (compared to Beethoven's other piano works). It is a favorite with people, though, Beethoven fans and non-fans alike. Learn it well and play it at parties to pick up chicks

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 07-24-2001).]

Comment

Is it the easiest Piano Sonata ever written? (I don't mean Beethoven Sonata)

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig Amadeus Schubert:

Is it the easiest Piano Sonata ever written? (I don't mean Beethoven Sonata)

Not by a long shot - there are plenty of easier sonatas by other composers - the Pathetique is around grade 8 level, which for someone learning only 2 years is a very fine achievement!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

It's not even the easiest by Beethoven; the Op. 49 sonatas are easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                It's not even the easiest by Beethoven; the Op. 49 sonatas are easier.
                True - and they were not originally intended for publication. The relatively high Opus number of these two little sonatas is misleading as they were written around 1795-7. No.1 was also written later than no.2. The minuet of no.2 was used later in the Septet of 1800. They bear no dedication and were probably intended for teaching purposes.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I think it would have been a real shame if they were not published, however (especially No. 1).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                    I think it would have been a real shame if they were not published, however (especially No. 1).
                    I agree - no.1 in particular is a lovely piece and not that difficult (around Grade 5). I think we owe the publication of these two to B's brother Carl who was managing his business affairs at the time.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      ... I think we owe the publication of these two to B's brother Carl who was managing his business affairs at the time.
                      I could be wrong, but I believe B wasn't too happy about this. I would be surprised if B himself would have authorised the publication of these pieces at this particular time.

------------------
                      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                        I could be wrong, but I believe B wasn't too happy about this. I would be surprised if B himself would have authorised the publication of these pieces at this particular time.

I think you're right - he wasn't pleased.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

The Pathétique is technically not that difficult, but the musical element is much more difficult, and is often underestimated or not that accurately expressed by some performers.

-- Vipercat ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Vipercat:
                            The Pathétique is technically not that difficult, but the musical element is much more difficult, and is often underestimated or not that accurately expressed by some performers.

-- Vipercat ;-)
                            This is often the case with music that is not technically difficult - a seemingly easy chord becomes difficult when the right balance of sound is considered. Compared to the formidable difficulties in the 4th, one wouldn't think the opening chord was that difficult, but to create just the right sound requires considerable skill.

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Tell me about it, the 4th's opening is a killer!! I am spending hours and hours to perfect it...Haha! But that's what's so wonderful about the piano - being able to spend so much valuable time with it! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X