Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beethoven's Music of the Spheres (or "That Glass Armonica is Driving me Crazy")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Music of the Spheres (or "That Glass Armonica is Driving me Crazy")

One of the most unusual instruments Beethoven ever wrote for (and that's saying something considering he wrote for Panharmonicon, cannons and musical clock) is the "glass armonica". This is an instrument which is made up of spinning bowls upon which the performer "lays hands on". The spinning bowls remain wet from a water pool, so that when the player places his/her hands on it, the vibrations create a somewhat ethereal tone. It's the original version of the "wine-glass" music that is much more prevalent today on late night TV. The glass armonica was invented by Benjamin Franklin and was thought to cause insanity for it's player. Actually the performer got lead poisoning from touching the spinning (unrefined) glass.

Beethoven only wrote about a minute and a half of music for the glass armonica in the incidental music for Leonore Prohaska, WoO.96 (1815).

I wrote a bit more on this and posted a video here:

3/21 Beethoven's Music of the (Spinning) Spheres (or "That Glass Armonica is Driving me Crazy")

Edit - apparently there is a thread on this already. BRS you've scooped me again....!
    Last edited by Ed C; 03-21-2011, 04:19 AM.
    The Daily Beethoven

Yeah, what was all that Platonic nonsense about music of the spheres? Are there any composers alive today that hold to that? I'd really like to know, Ed "Keep-Taking-The-Pills" C, really I would. Add the "This is a serious question" icon.
    Last edited by Quijote; 03-21-2011, 11:22 PM. Reason: Do send my best regards to Bonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
      Yeah, what was all that Platonic nonsense about music of the spheres? Are there any composers alive today that hold to that? I'd really like to know, Ed "Keep-Taking-The-Pills" C, really I would. Add the "This is a serious question" icon.
      There is Messiaen--oh, wait, he's dead. Never mind, my mistake.

Comment

Mozart also wrote a more substantial work for the Glass Armonica (or harmonica):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE_MZzvigd4

I believe a lot of people cannot listen to this instrument for very long without becoming depressed. I feel the same about hip-hop.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Mozart also wrote a more substantial work for the Glass Armonica (or harmonica):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE_MZzvigd4

I believe a lot of people cannot listen to this instrument for very long without becoming depressed. I feel the same about hip-hop.
          He wrote a couple. There is K 617, Adagio and Rondo for Glass Harmonica, Flute, Oboe, Viola and Cello, and there is K 356 (617a), Adagio in C for Glass Harmonica (the one you posted). As interesting sound, for sure.

Comment

I love the glass armonica. I have two cds with music performed on this instrument and I can listen to it all day without getting depressed. If I had the room and money, I would purchase one of these instruments. But if any of you would like to try your hand at playing something on a glass armonica, you can try it here:

http://fi.edu/franklin/musician/virtualarmonica.html
            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
              I love the glass armonica. I have two cds with music performed on this instrument and I can listen to it all day without getting depressed. If I had the room and money, I would purchase one of these instruments. But if any of you would like to try your hand at playing something on a glass armonica, you can try it here:

http://fi.edu/franklin/musician/virtualarmonica.html
              Oh wow - how could I have forgotten that site! Thanks Hollywood! The cool thing is that because this virtual armonica is chromatic, you can do a rough "impression" of Ligeti's "Atmospheres" on there.
              The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Here's some more armonica or its wine-glass equivalent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiGNn...eature=related

Which reminds me of a very bad joke:

The doctor sticks his head out of the surgery and asks: "Which is the child that swallowed the mouthorgan?". A harassed mother replies: "Oh, Doctor, that would be our Monica".

(It helps if you read it aloud - but not much).

Comment

Working...
                X