This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    I don't really care to enter this fascinating discussion, but you know I can't resist.
    First off : I do hope Megan that you keep posting.
    Secondly, concerning the word "dude" (with or without definite article) : I have made extensive research (about 4.33 seconds on the Internet) and found this delightful snippet :

The Merriam-Webster dictionary says the word “dude” dates back to 1883 and means “a man extremely fastidious in dress and manner” or “a city dweller unfamiliar with life on the range.”

Does it apply to the blogger (the dude) in question? I think we should be told.
    Whilst awaiting the response, I shall hum the famous "Bruckner ryhthm" (a 2+3 in 4/4 time), thus : du-de du-de-di dum-dum.
    That's for me to know. Only other dudes can understand The Dude.
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-22-2011, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
      Quite agree, Ed. And no good if you haven't got a sense of humor, either!!
      I have no problem with a dude - nice to have one on the forum!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Megan

Can I add my voice to those asking you to stay and to continue to post. I have always found your contributions interesting and informative whether or not I agree with them. It would be a great pity if you left.

As to the more general question: I can appreciate why the pseudonym 'The Dude' would grate in some cultures. But (for me) two of the several strengths of this forum are (i) it is very well and sensibly monitored so unlike other forums I could cite, and (ii) the participants here seem overwhelmingly to be sensitive to differences in culture and that what sounds fine in one may not work so well in another.

Thus, like Peter, I have no problem with 'The Dude' although it grates a little on my British ears. It's what The Dude says that interests me, not what he calls him(her?)self.

Euan

Comment

This thread has unfortunately been diverted from what was a very important point raised at the start by 'The Dude' - namely the importance of such innovations as a Youtube orchestra in attracting new young people to classical music.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            This thread has unfortunately been diverted from what was a very important point raised at the start by 'The Dude' - namely the importance of such innovations as a Youtube orchestra in attracting new young people to classical music.
            Now that I agree with, .

I recently watched the YTS performance and it was of very good quality and very talented people. Though, I do wonder if a YouTube Symphony is a thing for the better, in the long run? I imagine it is a better thing though something in me wonders about it. Perhaps, I have a slightly uneasy feeling because Google is becoming a pretty intrusive and dominating power (if someone has an Android device you probably understand what I mean).
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              I have no problem with a dude - nice to have one on the forum!
              Thanks. The important issue is music and the civilized, non-aggressive discussion of same. Amazing how conservative most posters on this site are, and what archaic language some use......!!!!

The U-Tube Orchestra seems to me a very fine ensemble of highly skilled musicians, drawn from all over the world. I'm proud that an American seems to be the innovator here, but whatever it takes....

Comment

[QUOTE=Peter;50063]This thread has unfortunately been diverted from what was a very important point raised at the start by 'The Dude' - namely the importance of such innovations as a Youtube orchestra in attracting new young people to classical music.

Members from our local orchestra sometimes performs classical pieces in our shopping centre, which is a great idea to grab folks interest, even if fleetingly. Plus, each year our town holds a music festival, that includes music from all cultures and is always an excellent success.
                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Thank you for your kind words Euan, nice to see you back on the forum.
                  ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                    Now that I agree with, .

I recently watched the YTS performance and it was of very good quality and very talented people. Though, I do wonder if a YouTube Symphony is a thing for the better, in the long run? I imagine it is a better thing though something in me wonders about it. Perhaps, I have a slightly uneasy feeling because Google is becoming a pretty intrusive and dominating power (if someone has an Android device you probably understand what I mean).
                    Technologies are changing ever so rapidly. Whether classical music or classical literature, etc. survive depends on the adjustments that we can make with the technology. Some time ago a link was introduced to the International Music Score Library Project: http://imslp.org/. This is one other excellent way to preserve older music.

Comment

Holy crap, over 130 views and 3 pages of comments since I last checked in - I suppose if my intent was to invigorate this topic than mission accomplished.

Anyways, scanning the thread it looks like things are copacetic so I'm not going to add any more fuel to the fire.
                      The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Ed. C

Well, you are the only who seems to think there is a fire, why do you insist on stirring it. Plus, I take exception to your Holy .....p language, Lowering the tone of the forum
                        Last edited by Megan; 03-22-2011, 01:55 PM.

Comment

The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                            Ed. C

Well, you are the only who seems to think there is a fire, why do you insist on stirring it. Plus, I take exception to your Holy .....p language, Lowering the tone of the forum
                            You've GOT to be kidding - after some of the diatribe and invective I've read from the records in this forum, and which nobody moved a finger to control!!

Ed is a cool dude who knows his music!!

Comment

Dude. You are "The Dude".

Ehh - on topic - I LOVE MTT (musically of course - I'm straight, it'd never work out).
                              His "Keeping Score" series is probably the greatest educational program on classical music since Leonard Bernstein's Young Peoples Concerts. Also he recorded a version of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue with a piano roll Gershwin recorded himself which is just ripping. It plays like "hot jazz". Recommended.
                              The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Gawd! Talk about an off-topic thread.
                                Remaining off-topic, please don't leave us, Megan!

Comment

Working...
                                X