This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Tilson Thomas and the U-Tube Orchestra

This Dude is doing great things for young musicians!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueJcRmfweSM
    Last edited by The Dude; 03-20-2011, 08:36 AM.

I appreciate what you are trying to say, but why is everyone called a 'dude' ? it is a meaningless word.
    Is your name Michael Tilson, The Dude?
    Last edited by Megan; 03-20-2011, 12:42 PM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

It is not meaningless in the good old USA. It's a term used to describe a really cool guy. (I say this without the slightest hint of self-referential irony!) "MTT" is one cool musical dude!!
      Last edited by The Dude; 03-20-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
        It is not meaningless in the good old USA. It's a term used to describe a really cool guy.
        Actually, IMO, for the most part it is meaningless - because, it generally is a term used to describe "a really cool guy". And, therefore often relates to the popular culture - which is pretty meaningless in itself (and makes the "good old USA" look pretty shallow, etc. and somewhat "off-the-rocker"), to my mind. I think Megan was referring to the broader scope of the word instead of an exact definition.
        Last edited by Preston; 03-20-2011, 08:36 PM.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Seriously, you guys are going to lay into a guy for using the word "Dude"? C'mon - all words and culture have meaning. The only word that may not have meaning is "uh". Or possibly "...". Way to engender board participation.
          The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Quite agree, Ed. And no good if you haven't got a sense of humor, either!!

Comment

Preston's unusually sardonic and elitist reply kind of surprised me - usually he's a very nice guy. He must be taking Phillip pills or something. Rock on Dude.
              The Daily Beethoven

Comment

That is just my opinion about the word "dude", nothing special. I do not think it makes me an elitist or not a nice person because I feel differently about something than another. Either way, no offense to anyone.

Comment

Preston - I know you're a good guy. Except for that one time when you said you didn't like Beethoven. That was weird.
                  But when I see a sentence with the words meaningless, USA, shallow, and off-the-rocker - well it doesn't read as something Mother Theresa would come out with (I use M.T. as an exaggerated example of course). However I apologize if I've mis-characterized your intentions Preston.

Also "The Dude" has only just joined the board. It seems a bit harsh to a relative newcomer to this board. I can't help but notice alot of newcomers to the board shortly leave due to a certain lack of civility coming from certain members who shan't be named (but no doubt you and the 50 lurkers who visit here regularly surely know who I'm referring to).

Anyways, I'm going to try to participate here again more regularly and stir up some trouble
                  Last edited by Ed C; 03-21-2011, 03:08 AM.
                  The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
                    But when I see a sentence with the words meaningless, USA, shallow, and off-the-rocker - well it doesn't read as something Mother Theresa would come out with (I use M.T. as an exaggerated example of course). However I apologize if I've mis-characterized your intentions Preston.
                    Actually you have, though no worries. When I wrote the words meaningless, USA, shallow, off-the-rocker, etc. - I was mainly referring not to America as a whole, but to a minority of America - the popular culture. And yes, in a very general sense that is what I believe about the popular culture - in a sense.

As for the member, no I do not want to see anyone leave (unless absolutely necessary) nor be part in someone feeling uncomfortable on these boards. Though, Ed, can you honestly tell me that you perfectly OK with their member name? Anyway, I hope they stay. It was not the name that triggered the conversation - it was a mixture of the name and the word. That and things just escalated.
                    This Dude is doing great things for young musicians!!
                    It is not meaningless in the good old USA. It's a term used to describe a really cool guy. (I say this without the slightest hint of self-referential irony!) "MTT" is one cool musical dude!!
                    Either way, Dude, I mean you no offense (other than I find your user name odd and your use of the word dude) and hope you do not feel hostile towards me. Hope you will stick around after all this.

Really, I have begun to find this whole scene somewhat comic.
                    Last edited by Preston; 03-21-2011, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Ed C. You may step down off your soap box now. Why on earth do you wan't to make a mountain out of a molehill? I appreciate Dude on the forum and sharing his interest in classical music. I love Americans, my sister, is a naturalized American, and she never uses these words in casual conversation.
                      Thank you Preston, you understand where I am coming from. To my ears, the word 'dude' is a non-word.
                      Welcome to our new member, The Dude, and be sure to meet like minded folks here. Sometimes cranky too.

Shalom.
                      ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                        Ed C. You may step down off your soap box now. Why on earth do you wan't to make a mountain out of a molehill? I appreciate Dude on the forum and sharing his interest in classical music. I love Americans, my sister, is a naturalized American, and she never uses these words in casual conversation.
                        Thank you Preston, you understand where I am coming from. To my ears, the word 'dude' is a non-word.
                        Welcome to our new member, The Dude, and be sure to meet like minded folks here. Sometimes cranky too.

Shalom.
                        The fact that The Dude thanked me for my defense if his terminology would seem to answer your 1st question, Megan. Accusing me of making a mountain out of a molehill? Who was the one who responded to a positive thread by castigating a new forum member for using the word "Dude"? Pot, meet kettle.
                        Finally - I really don't mean to sound strident here, really - the fact that your sister is a naturalized American hardly makes her an expert on American terminology or the semantics of an American idiom. Guess what - I am an actual American and I can attest that I use the word "dude" in casual conversation often and without a drop of self-consciousness.

I don't mean to be on a soap box but I'm just tired of seeing new people join this forum who I think I can have a nice conversation with shortly abandon it because of - what? Finely honed wit?

Edit - by "actual" American I should have said I was born and raised here - your sister is of course an actual American too
                        Last edited by Ed C; 03-21-2011, 01:05 PM.
                        The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                          Really, I have begun to find this whole scene somewhat comic.
                          You are a comic character Preston
                          The Daily Beethoven

Comment

You are a sensitive soul Ed. .

I think you missed the best times when this forum was in full swing and had plenty of heated discussions, you would have loved it then. I learned a lot from it too. Now sadly, it seems it has all slowed down and we get very few of former members posting. I guess if the truth were known, I have become bored with the few threads that are struggling to keep active. The 'What are you listening to now' thread, is the most frequented, but little in the way of discussion. By the way, Joy, who has been a long term member, comes swooping in, starts a new - 'What are you listening to now thread', then completely disappears off the scene, how odd is that?

I no will no longer be frequenting this site. So please Peter, delete my profile. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                              I no will no longer be frequenting this site. So please Peter, delete my profile. Thanks.
                              You are a sensitive soul Megan. .

Peter - I do apologize for being a trouble maker. You must be getting tired of deleting all these profiles and posts of people who I have argued with in the last year...
                              The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Working...
                              X