This is why I love Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why I love Beethoven

Its in the middle of the night here. I think we can hear Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" choral theme (you know what I'm talking about) ,well, at least the rather deformed seedling of it, in the following passage from 0:40-0:53. It includes the marchlike trumpets like the "ode to joy theme". Hum the ode to joy theme when you listen to the passage from the 1st movement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4OMX...eature=related

Who is playing/conducting?

Comment

Originally posted by makir35 View Post
      Its in the middle of the night here. I think we can hear Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" choral theme (you know what I'm talking about) ,well, at least the rather deformed seedling of it, in the following passage from 0:40-0:53. It includes the marchlike trumpets like the "ode to joy theme". Hum the ode to joy theme when you listen to the passage from the 1st movement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4OMX...eature=related
      Yes, I always thought so. The joy theme is prefigured in the first movement.

Of course, the whole of the 4th movement is prefigured in the Choral Fantasy.

Edit: I should add that I don't hear that prefiguring in the snippit you highlight, but I could swear there's a part in the first movement that undeniably hints at the joy theme.
      Last edited by Bonn1770; 04-09-2011, 01:03 AM.

Comment

I think you are right about the theme makir. As makir said it is not the ode theme it - if I remember hearing it correctly (it has been a while since I compared the parts) - is the trumpets he mentions that play the same or very similar part they play in the 1st mov. during the ode the choir sings at certain point. Though, it is not just the trumpets it is apparently a major part of 1st mov. played in/on different notes, keys, variations, instruments, etc.

So, I think makir's point is that Beethoven's music is full of symbolism and meaning - from the 1st note to the last, for all I know. Now if only I understood what this symbolism is - as in meaning. I believe Beethoven was a great genius (perhaps as great as any that have ever lived) - though, I am convinced I understand nothing (as of now, hopefully later) of his music. I feel things when I listen to it, though that is about it. I believe this is because he was possibly as great as any genius to ever live. Though, that is my understanding of Beethoven.

Other classical musicians I understand better.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
        X