Beethoven and his Beloveds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    My use of the symbol was cynical, not cute. You should know me by now!

Oh, Rod, I know you were being cynical! I was trying to be cute (you should know ME by
    now)!

About B receiving the last rites, I think B was advised to receive them rather than B requesting them. But he seems to have had no problem with receiving the rites. I think this ritual was such an ingrained and expected part of his culture that it would not have occured to him to make an issue of it, certainly not during his last days. Not that I have the faintest idea what the priest would have been saying, but I presume the rites offer the doomed one some comfort before the reaper strikes!
    Didn't his brother Johann suggest he receive last rites? You are right about the rites offering comfort and absolution I believe at the end. Sometime ago my Mom and I both were in the room when the Priest gave my father last rites (althought we were asked to leave). They read them in latin.

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Well, I am back, and have read attentively everything...
      Nobody mentioned the fact that Beethoven had among his books "The imitation of Jesus Christ" (in a translation of course... This book was written by Thomas a Kempis in 1380 and was very "à la mode" at this time.
      I do not mean B. was a fervent catholic. I just think I believed in one God and was very well placed to believe in a supranatural force because of his "inspiration" ("I write what the spirit dict to me" he told once)...
      He was in search of God... in a lot of direction (greak mythology, indian myths, Egyptians words...).
      It is a "constante" thing that religions have gave way to the main wars and disasters.
      And Beethoven was a true pacifist.

------------------
      Claudie
      Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
        Well, I am back, and have read attentively everything...
        Nobody mentioned the fact that Beethoven had among his books "The imitation of Jesus Christ" (in a translation of course... This book was written by Thomas a Kempis in 1380 and was very "à la mode" at this time.
        What does this book have to say?

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I have a good translation of the "Imitation of J.C." by Lamennais.
          The title says everything : it was written for monks. I cannot translate correctly something in the book, but it is a way to go and speak to God imitating J.C. in his words and in his facts.
          I am not myself a fervent catholic. I have bought this book because I knew B. had it among his books and I was curious to know what it was.
          Anyway, not going to the mass (but sometimes enjoying to enter in a church to get some peace...)or not practicing does not mean one is not catholic....
          Nobody can be considered "bad" when imitating J.C., for he was speaking of peace and love.
          Beethoven was in admiration before Haendel's Messiah.... ("He shall speak peace, peace... etc).
          Pity all those discussions about religions : "non-tolérance" produce always disorders, hate and war.
          Beethoven had the right to be a non-practising catholic... it is not a crime (?)

------------------
          Claudie
          Claudie

Comment

Beethoven had the right to be a non-practising catholic... it is not a crime (?)

Absolutely!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have a good translation of the "Imitation of J.C." by Lamennais.
              The title says everything : it was written for monks. I cannot translate correctly something in the book, but it is a way to go and speak to God imitating J.C. in his words and in his facts.
              I am not myself a fervent catholic. I have bought this book because I knew B. had it among his books and I was curious to know what it was.
              Anyway, not going to the mass (but sometimes enjoying to enter in a church to get some peace...)or not practicing does not mean one is not catholic....
              Nobody can be considered "bad" when imitating J.C., for he was speaking of peace and love.
              Beethoven was in admiration before Haendel's Messiah.... ("He shall speak peace, peace... etc).
              Pity all those discussions about religions : "non-tolérance" produce always disorders, hate and war.

Fair enough, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that B posessed, at one time at least, a book concerning sexually transmitted diseases! The truth of it I know not. When I was younger I read dozens of books concerning metaphysics, theosophy, you name it, but all I have in my actual posession now is two Bibles!

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

"non-tolérance" produce always disorders, hate and war.
                I take it you did not hear this week's Gospel reading!

Comment

Working...
                X