Desert Island Discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It's worth downloading James Ellroy's interview - the first on the list, with an unprecedented choice of five Beethoven works. He talks a great deal about him, too.
    Thanks Michael - I listened to the Ellroy podcast. I've never read any of his books actually, but the way he talks about Beethoven....well he's clearly a very perceptive and intelligent fellow! His top pick of all time - the slow movement of the Hammerklavier - good choice....!

4/6 The 7th Symphony (Color Analysis)
    The Daily Beethoven

Comment

I have mentioned this before elsewhere on the forum, but I am a great admirer of James Ellroy. I used to be snobbish about crime fiction, but this guy changed that for me. Yes, he seems to have a penchant for Beethoven. On the other hand, he has pretty disparaging things to say about Brahms. Wonder what he makes of Xenakis?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
        Thanks Michael - I listened to the Ellroy podcast. I've never read any of his books actually, but the way he talks about Beethoven....well he's clearly a very perceptive and intelligent fellow! His top pick of all time - the slow movement of the Hammerklavier - good choice....!

4/6 The 7th Symphony (Color Analysis)
        Did you guys notice how off his face Ellroy was in that interview? He talked about a "collabatator" (collaborator?) and called himself a "self destructive baffoon". Mmm. Yes... Call me cynical, but could his references to Beethoven be yet another "anything (antic) to get attention"? People will pretend about a lot of things, particularly in the intellectual arena. Just saying..
        Last edited by The Dude; 04-06-2011, 06:26 PM. Reason: ...disingenuous...

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
          Did you guys notice how off his face Ellroy was in that interview? He talked about a "collabatator" (collaborator?) and called himself a "self destructive baffoon". Mmm. Yes... Call me cynical, but could his references to Beethoven be yet another "anything (antic) to get attention"? People will pretend about a lot of things, particularly in the intellectual arena. Just saying..
          Well, he did have a colourful life but I don't think he was pretending about his choices. He picked some Bruckner and Sibelius as well, but either he or the show's producers got one item wrong: he described one of his choices as the opening movement of Opus 131 - and what was played was the opening of Opus 127. He did mention the key of E flat, so I think he just got his opuses mixed up. (Big deal.) The music was obviously slotted in some time after the recording.

One little thing bugged me - I think it was his introduction to the slow movement of the Hammerklavier. He brought up the old cliche about Beethoven being "stone deaf" when he wrote it. B certainly was not stone deaf in 1818-19 and it is to be doubted if he was ever was. Profoundly deaf, yes, but up to the end, on good days, he could still hear something.

What really gets me is when somebody talks about the early famous works, like the Moonlight Sonata, and then says reverently: "He never heard a note of it." A friend of mine actually thought Beethoven was born deaf. Amazingly, he's still a friend of mine.
          Last edited by Michael; 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Man, I roared laughing at that last line of yours!! So funny (you missed your calling in stand-up; perhaps you can write some piquant lines for The Dude in your next life). Yes, the suffering musician - so tedious, so cliched, so yesterday!! This is what raised my suspicions - this sort of thing - with Ellroy. Ever the pseudo-intellectual, I'm sorry, not the genuine article. Not like The Dude - who has a six shooter of an intellect and won't be messed with.

Comment

I just realized that the topic of this thread is Desert Island Discs and I haven't even listed my own choices!

DG Beethoven complete works.

Well, that was easy!

Hmm..but if that were only 1 choice, then my others would be

Bartok: Piano Concertos (Geza Anda)
              Beethoven: 9th (Munch)
              Beethoven: Symphonies (Toscanini 1939 NBC set)
              Beethoven: Piano Sonatas (Paul Badura Skoda)
              Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe/Debussy: La Mer (Munch)
              Stravinsky: Rite of Spring (Bernstien NY Phil 58)
              Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
              John Coltrane - European Quintet Tour w Dolphy et al
              The Doors - The Doors
              Bernard Herrmann - The Day The Earth Stood Still (Original Film score)

(that's 11, oh well).

And if I HAD to pick just one it'd be...
              Beethoven Piano Sonatas...Alpha to Omega, it's all here, man.

I quite like that list! All I need now is a desert island...
              The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Sorry, Ed, it's just eight pieces of music you are allowed. Then, at the end, you narrow it down to one.
                So - wanna try again?

Comment

You mean only 8 "works"? Not even a whole CD? You can't be serious!
                  The Daily Beethoven

Comment

You could opt for the Ring of the Nibelungen. That would give you a bunch of CD's!

Comment

It depends on the work. Sorrano suggests the "Ring" but that would be four. The work can be two minutes long or as long as an opera.
                      You are also allowed one luxury item, the bible and the complete works of Shakespeare. Not even a toothbrush.

I think these imaginary rules were set down in 1942! Desert Island Discs is the longest-running factual programme in the history of radio. And the second-longest running of all - beaten by "Grand Ole Opry" (not Oprah) which started in 1925.

Daniel Barenboim wanted scores instead of recordings but I don't know what he was finally allowed. (They are quite strict for such a silly scenario.) I'm sure he is in the archives.

Comment

8 Works (sheer insanity...)

Beethoven: 9th Symphony (Munch)
                        Beethoven: Op 106 HammerK (Paul Badura Skoda)
                        B: Eroica (Furtwangler)
                        B. Op 131 (Takacs)
                        Debussy: La Mer (Munch)
                        Jimi Hendrix - 3rd Stone From the Sun
                        John Coltrane - Impressions
                        The Doors - When The Music's Over

Top pick: Eroica (Furtwangler)

Anybody else want to share their DID? My top choice was actually a big surprise...

4/7 The 5th Symphony (Color Analysis)
                        The Daily Beethoven

Comment

I really can't post my DID, for the simple reason that what I post today will very probably change tomorrow. So fickle, I am. I notice Michael, as instigator of this lively thread, that you have not given us your selection! Nor have certain other posters. Allez !

Comment

So whilst I cannot give a set-in-concrete DID, for sure it would include something by Bach, Beethoven, Bruckner, Mahler, Cage ...

Comment

This is a bit off topic, but is a list of famous CM "meloides". Of principle interest are the two Beethoven entries (#1 should be no surprise).

http://listverse.com/2011/04/07/top-...ical-melodies/

Comment

Now open to public vote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pre...3/desert.shtml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...blic-vote.html

Last edited by Michael; 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM. Reason: added another link

Comment

Working...
                                X