Beethoven at the Oscars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven at the Oscars

So the King's Speech won for best picture last night. This is the film which used LvB's 7th Symphony Allegretto as music for it's defining moment. Goes to show, if you want to impress people, just put LvB on top and it automatically gets much better.

They also used the Allegretto as the music for the video-montage leading up to the Best Picture announcement. Always nice to hear some B. on a show seen by a few million viewers.

Trent Reznor, my choice of the "modern day equivalent of Beethoven" won the academy award for best film score for The Social Network". hooray. The whole thing is a political backroom game but still, that was nice, and an excellent score

The Daily Beethoven today:
    2/28 A Turkish March for 16 Hands
    The Daily Beethoven

Just occurred to me, they could also have used the slow movement from Schubert's 'Death and the Maiden' quartet which uses the same rhythm.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks, Ed C, for spoiling the Oscars for me! In the best possible way ...
      Before I sat down to watch a recording of the event, I happened to spot your thread, the mere title of which was enough.
      There must have been a huge audience for this and if even a few people ask "What was that music they played over the montage?" and then perhaps decide to investigate the 7th symphony, it will have achieved more than a golden statuette.
      "The King's Speech" is also a box-office smash. I haven't seen it yet but I hear great reports of it.

Interesting little article here:
      http://college.usc.edu/thegamut/2011...rves-an-oscar/
      Last edited by Michael; 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Just occurred to me, they could also have used the slow movement from Schubert's 'Death and the Maiden' quartet which uses the same rhythm.
        I must now dig out my copy of the above work. It will do nicely today for "What are you listening to".

Comment

Working...
        X