X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
    Now playing "Symphony in D major - I. Largo - Allegro" by Cherubini

(aside: the Dude's username is getting so much press these days I'm getting jealous.
    Thinking of changing my name to "Your Majesty"...)
    Why would you want to change it to "My Majesty"?

Comment

Listening to some of Bach's works for organ. It has been a good and needed experience.

Chris, after listening to some of Bach's organ music written in the minor, to my mind they do have a similar sound to the Toccata and Fugue in D min (BWV 565). What makes me think so even more is the similar sounds works like BWV 578 "The Little", the Prelude to the 1st Cello Suite, and the Fantasia & Fugue BWV 542 have to BWV 565.

Such as if we listen to the Prelude we see Bach is easily capable of writing a similar "catchy" sound to BWV 565. Then take BWV 542 and the depth and heavy and powerful use of minor has a similar "darkness" (I guess could be said) to BWV 565. And BWV 578 has something about it that, to me, has resemblances of BWV 565.

Anyway just some thoughts.

Also, to Sorrano, in regards to your comment in another thread about keeping up with technology - I believe you are right. It, really surprises, me that technology has come so far that there is a YTSO. It almost frightens me, because, technology is such a great power and much of humanity depends on it so greatly for almost everything.
      - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        ("Difficult is good" said Beethoven. True?)
        I have been thinking a little (because I found the saying interesting) about this and the conclusion I came to is it depends of what Beethoven is saying in relation to "difficult". If he means it in a general sense (such as things we do in everyday life - so to say) then I completely disagree. Really, I don't see difficult being a 'good' thing in relation to many things? Though Philip, do you know what it is he was relating "difficult is good" to.

Comment

Difficult, in my experiences has been a good thing. For example, if I learn a difficult piece of music I have grown by exceeding the range of my own comfort zone. I experience new abilities and new sensations.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            I have been thinking a little (because I found the saying interesting) about this and the conclusion I came to is it depends of what Beethoven is saying in relation to "difficult". If he means it in a general sense (such as things we do in everyday life - so to say) then I completely disagree. Really, I don't see difficult being a 'good' thing in relation to many things? Though Philip, do you know what it is he was relating "difficult is good" to.
            Sorry Preston, I wasn't clear there. I was referring to the BBC "Eroica" film when the actor playing Beethoven says angrily to the actor playing Count Dietrichstein that "Difficult is good". I was asking if it was true that Beethoven actually said that.
            Last edited by Quijote; 03-23-2011, 10:11 PM. Reason: Spelling and clarifications

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Caught some of Beethoven's Fourth Piano Concerto on a car journey today. The first movement was fine but - as I expected - I couldn't hear the piano in the second movement until it got near the end.
              I have come to the conclusion that many works of Beethoven are not suitable for in-car listening due to his extreme dynamic range (unless you have a super-quiet expensive Merc). Just try to hear the opening of the Ninth symphony without turning up the volume and getting blasted a few moments later.
              Bach and Mozart are ideal for car journeys. Anyway, I hate driving.
              I couldn't agree with you more! The part about Bach and Mozart being car music not the part about driving!!!
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy, I agree with myself totally: listening to Michael drives me completely round the bend.
                [Add "driving me around the bend" icon; similar to the smiley one, but bendier]

Comment

Today:
                  François Couperin : Les Barricades Mistérieuses (6° ordre), Vivement. On this CD recording played on the piano by Alexandre Tharaud.
                  The theme here reminds me of the main theme used in Beethoven's late E major sonata (No. 30, op. 109).
                  Is is possible that B ever came into contact with music by Couperin (1668-1733)?

Comment

This morning:

Vaughn Williams: Five variants of "Dives and Lazarus" and Variations for Band, arranged for orchestra by Jacob.

Comment

Josquin -

Missa Pange Lingua

Comment

Charles-Valentin Alkan:

Grande Sonate "Les quatre Ages", Op.33
                        Symphony for Solo Piano, Op. 39
                        7 Esquisses, Op. 63

Alan Weiss, piano
                        Last edited by The Dude; 03-24-2011, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          Difficult, in my experiences has been a good thing. For example, if I learn a difficult piece of music I have grown by exceeding the range of my own comfort zone. I experience new abilities and new sensations.
                          I do agree with you that difficulty can be good - at times. I was approaching it from a completely different perspective. I am thankful for the hardships I have experienced in life - though at the same time, I desperately wish they would end - really it has been enough.

Comment

Bach Mass in B minor - I think one of the greatest artistic achievements of western civilisation.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                              I do agree with you that difficulty can be good - at times. I was approaching it from a completely different perspective. I am thankful for the hardships I have experienced in life - though at the same time, I desperately wish they would end - really it has been enough.
                              Just consider, what would Beethoven's music have been like if he had not the hardships he endured?

Comment

This morning:

Godowsky: from 24 Tonfantasien, "Silhouette (Franz Liszt)"

Liszt: "From the Cradle to the Grave" Tone Poem

Comment

Working...
                                X