• Show
Clear All

Sweelinck Fantasia cromatica
    Gibbons 'Lord of Salisbury'
    Byrd Sellinger's round
    Byrd Mass for five voices
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Roehre, I thought you had a link on the Mahler 8th Symphony (I looked at that yesterday and was interested in your thoughts on that).

This morning:

Kraus: "Olympia" Overture and Flute and Viola Sonata.

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
        Listening to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1wY8Idr1gU. I have liked this music for sometime.
        It's a great 3CD-set with an excellent book too.
        I listened to the lot very recently: Le Royaume oubliƩ (5-7/03, to be preciese )
        It's simply brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          It's a great 3CD-set with an excellent book too.
          I listened to the lot very recently: Le Royaume oubliƩ (5-7/03, to be preciese )
          It is a set that I hope to get one day. It seems to me that it is like a "rare gem". There really seems to be a lot of thought put into not only the music but the performance as well. Though, like a fool, I still have not listened to the entire piece.
          It's simply brilliant.

On a side note AliaVox has a recording of Mozart's Requiem (which, imo, was probably the greatest, by far, of all his compositions). Have you heard this?
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            On a side note AliaVox has a recording of Mozart's Requiem (which, imo, was probably the greatest, by far, of all his compositions). Have you heard this?
            Yes, I have. But I am quite underwhelmed I have to say.
            And that remarkable in itself, as by far the best part of what that label is offering, is of an extraordinary quality. This Mozart however, IMO, isn't.
            Last edited by Roehre; 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Today:

Poulenc:
              Flute sonata (1958)
              Elegy for horn and piano (1957)

Massenet:
              ScĆØnes alsaciennes (1880)

I’m travelling abroad and will be back by March 25th

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                Yes, I have. But I am quite underwhelmed I have to say.
                And that remarkable in itself, as by far the best part of what that label is offering, is of an extraordinary quality. This Mozart however, IMO, isn't.
                I have the deepest respect, I can have, for The Requiem and thought that AliaVox would have made an exceptional recording of this, seeing as their other recordings are "of an extraordinary quality" - so I am surprised. Perhaps this era of music is not their specialty?

Thank you for the information.

Comment

This morning: Carl Maria von Weber's 2nd Piano Concerto.

Comment

Bruckner 9th symphony
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

What else? Some of Beethoven's Irish folksong arrangements, in honor of St. Patrick's Day!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Bruckner 9th symphony
                        Strange, that. Today I listened to the opening 5 or so minutes of Mahler's 1st and kept thinking "Hmm, sounds like he took inspiration from Bruckner's 9th."

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          What else? Some of Beethoven's Irish folksong arrangements, in honor of St. Patrick's Day!
                          Aaah, that's me broth of a boy, begorrah, to be sure, to be sure. Don't forget "The Pulse of an Irishman" which also goes by the title of "St Patrick's Day in the Morning."
                          And did I mention that my home town of Killarney is mentioned in two Beethoven settings? I'm sure I did - at least three times.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                            Strange, that. Today I listened to the opening 5 or so minutes of Mahler's 1st and kept thinking "Hmm, sounds like he took inspiration from Bruckner's 9th."
                            Correct. Both were musical windbags.

Comment

Listening to some very heavy and serious tremolo - Summer III from Vivaldi's 4 Seasons. The tremolo is everywhere, pretty much constantly. Then off to Winter III, which is probably my favorite movement.

Besides that, some news for the Irish members (Michael... don't know of any others ) I just read that St. Patrick was not Irish but British. Though, perhaps he was Irish at heart?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                                Correct. Both were musical windbags.
                                Hmmm. Methinks I hear a breeze blowing.

Comment

Working...
                                X