Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Figaro and the piano concertos (and Queen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serge:
    I quail at what I say next: Mozart's D min. concerto (no. 20?), grabs me better than Beethoven's 1st does.

The Mozart Dmin was also a favourite of Beethoven's, and it's no surprise it appeals to you (with your Romantic tastes!) as it along with Don Giovani were a few of Mozart's works that the Romantics actually revered. Beethoven wrote wonderful cadenzas for it.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      It is not wise to judge a works quality purely on the quality of performances of that work!
      Did I say that I think it's better now? No, just perhaps that I enjoy listening to it more. I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy listening to crappy recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        Did I say that I think it's better now? No, just perhaps that I enjoy listening to it more. I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy listening to crappy recordings.

Exactly Chris and I seem to recall Rod saying that at first he was not impressed with Beethoven's music - this he put down to modern instruments!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Rod will of course agree, but I don't!!
          I personally doubt that Beethoven would have either since he referred to the first 2 concertos as not being amongst his best works. On hearing Mozart's C minor concerto he remarked to Cramer that he would never be able to do anything like it - well he did of course in the 3rd.

I was thinking of the desert island scenario: If I could only have one concerto recording, and my choice was between any by Mozart and Op.15, then I would have to go with the Beethoven, although I'd choose half a dozen Mozart works ahead of Op.19!

Serge, it's good to see that you're getting into Mozart at last!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            Exactly Chris and I seem to recall Rod saying that at first he was not impressed with Beethoven's music - this he put down to modern instruments!

Not the music, the performances and the instruments. The music itself has never failed to impress this listener. But the Beethoven I expect is somewhat different to everyone elses here. If the authentic movement ceased to exist I doubt I would ever buy a new Beethoven CD again. The man is proven regardless of, or rather in spite of, Brendels or Rattles or whoever elses latest lame efforts with the VPO or BPO or... Thing is I'm tired of paying good money only to transcribe in my mind such lameness into the real thing. Just today I sampled in Virgin Rattles latest 5th Symphony recording with the VP, overblown yet simultaneously trite, Some of this is due to Rattle, some of it due to the VPs tendancy to play as a group of soloists and not an ensemble, the rest is due to the thick syrupy tones of the instruments and the manner of playing them. That's a lot of stuff to transcribe!

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 09-09-2001).]
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
            X