Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Figaro and the piano concertos (and Queen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figaro and the piano concertos (and Queen)

This is my review thread for some recordings I just bought.

First up - A set of the five piano concertos (Leon Fleisher on the piano with George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra) and the Triple Concerto (Eugene Istomin on piano, Isaac Stern on violin, Leonard Rose on cello with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra). This set is absolutely fantastic. This is the set to buy, in my opinion (for modern instruments, that is). The tempos are just right, the balance is great, and the quality of the recordings is also very high. These recordings we made in the mid 60's.

Next up - Le Nozze di Figaro (This is Mozart I'm talking about now, of course.) This recording is with Karl Bohm conducting, Hermann Prey as Figaro, and Edith Mathis as Susanna. It was recorded in 1968. Another winner. Pretty much everything is great, especially Prey's Figaro, in my opinion. The balance seemed a little strange in some places, but nothing big. I'd say get it, even if you already have a Figaro you like. If you don't have it, give it a try. It may be no Fidelio, maybe even no Don Giovanni, but it's certainly one of the greatest operas ever composed, and should be a part of any serious music-lovers collection.

I also bought a Queen CD, completing my collection of all the albums released by the greatest band ever (or so I think). I'll leave reviews of this to sites dealing with popular music.

But on an issue related to Queen, I wonder if I could ask the Brits of this forum a question. I'd like to get a hold of some sixpence coins. Brian May, the guitarist from Queen, used these as guitar picks, and I find that trying to play his stuff doesn't work very well without getting as close to his sound as possible, which includes the sixpence pick. As I understand it, the sixpence is no longer used, and hasn't been for a number a years. Does anyone know where I might be able to find some?

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 09-07-2001).]

Thanks Chris, goodness the sixpence! I'm showing my age by remembering it - I used to be given the sixpence each day for School and I remember buying a Bar of Six and getting change! It was phased out in 1971 - I've no idea where you can get hold of them now.

I have the exact same recording of Figaro, but in a Boxed LP set. It is superb!

I don't know that version of B's concertos, but I have a recording of the Dvorak 'cello concerto and Brahms Double with the same artists Isaac Stern , Leonard Rose, Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The CD's in the figaro set are made up to look like little LP's

Oh, and I just took a look, and the piano concerto set is on the recommended recordings page.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        The CD's in the figaro set are made up to look like little LP's

Oh, and I just took a look, and the piano concerto set is on the recommended recordings page.
        oops!

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

This is my review thread for some recordings I just bought.

First up - A set of the five piano concertos (Leon Fleisher on the piano with George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra) and the Triple Concerto (Eugene Istomin on piano, Isaac Stern on violin, Leonard Rose on cello with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra). This set is absolutely fantastic. This is the set to buy, in my opinion (for modern instruments, that is). The tempos are just right, the balance is great, and the quality of the recordings is also very high. These recordings we made in
          These recordings aren't bad (from the mid-60s; there, I've finished your sentence for you!), but I do find the piano bass to be a bit thin-sounding, esp. on the Emperor rondo.

I also bought a Queen CD, completing my collection of all the albums released by the greatest band ever (or so I think). I'll leave reviews of this to sites dealing with popular music.
          Queen are better than AC/DC, but not as good as The Beatles. So there!

But on an issue related to Queen, I wonder if I could ask the Brits of this forum a question. I'd like to get a hold of some sixpence coins. Brian May, the guitarist from Queen, used these as guitar picks, and I find that trying to play his stuff doesn't work very well without getting as close to his sound as possible, which includes the sixpence pick.
          I hope you're a sensitive guitarist, Chris. Many years ago I tried using a sixpence for the same reason but ended up spending most of my pocket money on new strings. Twang, twang, snap!! Oops.....

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            Thanks Chris, goodness the sixpence! I'm showing my age by remembering it - I used to be given the sixpence each day for School and I remember buying a Bar of Six and getting change! It was phased out in 1971 - I've no idea where you can get hold of them now.
            You're showing your age more by remembering Bar Sixes, Peter!

Comment

Oops, I guess I did forget to finish that sentence! I fixed it though As to the Beatles, they were good, but their weird lyrics produced while high on all sorts of crazy drugs scare me

Comment

Bohemian Rhapsody is the best Queen song I know (and apart from We Are The Champions [right?], I know no others [chagrined look]). I figure I ought to learn it on piano, so my friends will bother to hear me play!

Talking about cd reviews, I find it the most difficult facet of c.m. to have to be responsible for picking a "good" version of such-and-such a piece. With popular music, unless you're buying artists doing covers, the music is not adopted by others and is therefore "original". Sampling helps, but I find it's often not enough. Easily 40% of my cd purchases I end up disliking. No easy way to get around that, so far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge:
                  Bohemian Rhapsody is the best Queen song I know (and apart from We Are The Champions [right?], I know no others [chagrined look]). I figure I ought to learn it on piano, so my friends will bother to hear me play!

Easily 40% of my cd purchases I end up disliking. No easy way to get around that, so far as I know.
                  It's like clothes! 80% of my wardrobe is a mistake!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Oops, I guess I did forget to finish that sentence! I fixed it though As to the Beatles, they were good, but their weird lyrics produced while high on all sorts of crazy drugs scare me
                    You scare easily! Still, rather drugs than that 'pastime' which eventually saw off Freddie. Don't try either at home, children...

Let It Be.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Beatles (I was just playing "Hey Jude" on my piano this morning, in fact), it's just that some of that stuff was weird. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds makes me question if I might actually be high right then and there, despite never having taken a drug in my life! Nevertheless, Queen has always been by favorite band. I think their skill with their instruments is far, far above average for a popular music group, particularly Brian May. I only with I had gotten to see them in concert. That's the great thing about classical music - Beethoven is dead, but I can still go to a great Beethoven concert.

Anyway, now that I've been listening to these CD's for a while now, I've developed a new fondness for the 1st piano concerto. It's interesting how a new recording can make you see an old piece in a different light.

Comment

Anyway, now that I've been listening to these CD's for a while now, I've developed a new fondness for the 1st piano concerto.
                        New fondness!? What about the 'old fondness'?

It's interesting how a new recording can make you see an old piece in a different light.
                        It is not wise to judge a works quality purely on the quality of performances of that work!

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I heard the 1st Concerto before any of the symphonies, and I still rate it above any by Mozart.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                            I heard the 1st Concerto before any of the symphonies, and I still rate it above any by Mozart.
                            Rod will of course agree, but I don't!!
                            I personally doubt that Beethoven would have either since he referred to the first 2 concertos as not being amongst his best works. On hearing Mozart's C minor concerto he remarked to Cramer that he would never be able to do anything like it - well he did of course in the 3rd.

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven's concertos have always been a little bit of a trick for me. Discounting the incomplete 6th, I find only the 5th, 4th, and 3rd to be truly great concertos. The Violin Concerto I'm having problems with now because it's so slow and repetitive to my ears and no one seems to ever try and speed it up. The Triple Concerto is catchy, but doesn't strike me as particularly deep. The first two piano c's are nice to listen to, but they are shallow to my ears. I quail at what I say next: Mozart's D min. concerto (no. 20?), grabs me better than Beethoven's 1st does.

I will wait for new and better recordings to come along, unless someone can suggest a older Beethoven version that can reinstate Ludwig's proper place on the echelon.

Comment

Working...
                              X