This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    No, that was Elgar's '3rd' the sketches of which he explicitly requested be destroyed. His 2 completed symphonies are very fine.
    So, we have reconstructions of Elgar's "Third", Beethoven's "Tenth" and Bruckner's "Ninth" (finale). I know that on this forum some are irritated (shall we say?) at the notion of "completing" works by composers after their deaths. Personally, it does not bother me in the least, as I know what we are offered is speculative, but this in no way impedes my enjoyment of hearing "what could have been". Here's a quote that better expresses what I want to say:

"Just a simple remark – if you don't approve of performing versions of composer's unfinished sketches, no one is holding your hand to the fire forcing you to listen. In the meantime, those of us with intellectual curiosity, although we know such things as this and other performing versions can never really exist as the composer would have completed them, would still rather hear the sketches in some way rather than having them remain mute in archive drawers. Again: no one is forcing you to listen …"
    [Bruckner-Fan Dace Gisclard, Houston/USA, 26. 8. 2003, www.amazon.com]

Comment

We also have reconstructions of Schubert's 7th and 10th by the renowned Schubert scholar Brian Newbould. He did a wonderful job with them.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Elgar's Cello Concerto, op.85
        A beautiful piece, beautifully played by, Jacqueline du Pré .

🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Caught some of Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 on the way to work today. I don't know who was performing it, but it was the most ridiculously fast performance of it I have ever heard.
          Those that do conduct Bruckner excessively fast are the same that do not understand the aural architecture in which the symphonies were conceived. Remembering that Bruckner was first, and foremost, a great organist, helps to understand better the sound concepts which make up the symphonies. Some take the tempi much to slow; I think Bruckner is a difficult composer to conduct.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
            So, we have reconstructions of Elgar's "Third", Beethoven's "Tenth" and Bruckner's "Ninth" (finale). I know that on this forum some are irritated (shall we say?) at the notion of "completing" works by composers after their deaths. Personally, it does not bother me in the least, as I know what we are offered is speculative, but this in no way impedes my enjoyment of hearing "what could have been". Here's a quote that better expresses what I want to say:

"Just a simple remark – if you don't approve of performing versions of composer's unfinished sketches, no one is holding your hand to the fire forcing you to listen. In the meantime, those of us with intellectual curiosity, although we know such things as this and other performing versions can never really exist as the composer would have completed them, would still rather hear the sketches in some way rather than having them remain mute in archive drawers. Again: no one is forcing you to listen …"
            [Bruckner-Fan Dace Gisclard, Houston/USA, 26. 8. 2003, www.amazon.com]

And don't forget Mozart's Requiem.

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
              We also have reconstructions of Schubert's 7th and 10th by the renowned Schubert scholar Brian Newbould. He did a wonderful job with them.
              I used to have a recording of the 7th (that is the E Major, isn't it?) I quite liked it, but it went out with the rest of my vinyls.

Comment

Bruckners 9th, Fragment of the 4th movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz3o3...eature=related
                🎹

Comment

Today:

Reger:
                  Böcklin-suite op.128 (1913)

Britten:
                  Sinfonia da Requiem op.20

Honegger:
                  Symphony no.3 „Liturgique“

Liszt:
                  Héroide funèbre S.102 (1850)

Henkemans:
                  Bericht aan de Overlevenden (Message to the Survivors) (1965)

Henze:
                  Requiem- 9 sacred concertos (1990/’93)

Ferneyhough:
                  String quartet no.6 (premiere performance [YouTube])

Comment

Grieg, Edvard (1843-1907)
                    Lyric pieces - book 1 for piano (Op.12)
                    Zoltán Kocsis (piano)

Gabrieli, Giovanni (c.1553-1612)
                    Exaudi me, for 12 part triple chorus, continuo and 4 trombones
                    Danish National Radio Chorus, Copenhagen Cornetts & Sackbutts, Lars Baunkilde (violone), Soren Christian Vestergaard (organ), Bo Holten (conductor)

Schumann, Robert (1810-1856) arr. Agnieszka Duczmal
                    Cello Concerto in A minor (Op 129)
                    Karolina Jaroszewska (cello), 'Amadeus' Polish Radio Chamber Orchestra in Poznan, Agnieszka Duczmal (conductor

🎹

Comment

Henry Purcell - Abdelazar Rondeau .
                      BBC Symphony Orchestra.

The piece I am learning this week!
                      🎹

Comment

Today:

Last night’s Hear & Now

Ferneyhough:
                        String quartet no.6 (R3: H&N)

Legley:
                        Before Endeavours fade (1978)

Strauss:
                        4 Letzte Lieder

De Leeuw:
                        Invocations (1983)

Ligeti:
                        Requiem (1961)

Tansman:
                        Stèle (1972)

Brahms/Glanert:
                        4 Serious songs (1896) with prelude, interludes and postlude (2005)

Kurtag:
                        Stèle (1994)

Comment

Bartok - Violin concerto 2.
                          Violinist, Gil Shaham.

Quite brilliant!!!
                          🎹

Comment

Today:

Balakirev (R3: CotW):
                            Islamey (1869/’70, orch. Lyapunov 1916)
                            Octet opus 3 (1855)
                            Piano concerto no.1 (1856)

Julius Harrison:
                            Worcestershire-suite (1916) (R3: Ao3)

Foulds;
                            Darby and Joan op.41/1 (1916) (R3: Ao3)

Bainton:
                            Symphony no.3 in c (1955) (R3: Ao3)

Schubert:
                            Quartettsatz in c D.703 (from this month’s BBC MM CD)

Shchedrin:
                            Beethoven’s Heiligenstadt Testament (2008) (R3: Po3)

Beethoven:
                            Symphony no.2 op.36 (R3: Po3)

Comment

Two "reconstructed" versions of the Finale of Bruckner's Ninth :
                              a) Samale-Phillips-Cohrs-Mazzuca (hereafter referred to as SPCM);
                              b) Carragan (1st version!).

I can only offer superficial first impressions for the moment; hence, I'm going to say that I find the SPCM version more convincingly "Brucknerian". It is ironic that even Carragan has revised his first reconstruction. Have SPCM jumped on this band-wagon too?

Comment

All this talk of reconstruction makes me think of Cage's First Construction (in metal) (1939), Second Construction (1940), and Third Construction (1941). I'm not listening to these right now, but I will be tomorrow.
                                I heard these performed live in Strasbourg during the Musica contemporary music festival some years ago. They are superb pieces for percussion instruments, musically convincing and visually fascinating, even though they are not intended as "theatre" pieces.

Comment

Working...
                                X