This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
    There is a version by William Carragan, as well. My favorite performance of the 9th contains this finale, as well as the sketches in their entirety. It's a Chandos CD featuring Yoav Talmi and the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra.
    I've got that 2CD as well. Unfortunately it's been deleted, as I wanted to make a link to it for Philip in order to enable him to get an impression of the state of the finale in Bruckner's hand only.
    What I do appreciate in the performance of the finale's "sketches" is that the twice two pages missing were "produced/played" in silence, thus creating a sense of the size in time of the missing bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      There is a version by William Carragan, as well. My favorite performance of the 9th contains this finale, as well as the sketches in their entirety. It's a Chandos CD featuring Yoav Talmi and the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra [...]
      Thank you Sorrano for that lead. I still haven't had time to listen to the "reconstructed" finale I mentioned above. The Carragan will now join my list of listening imperatives. Ideally, I would like to see the source material and then get the score reconstructions made by Messrs Samale, Phillips, Cohrs, Mazzuca and Carragan. I know for sure my faculty library doesn't have such documents. Would you or Roehre perhaps know where I could find this material?

Comment

Today:

Poulenc:
        Elegy for horn and piano (1957)
        Elegy for two pianos (1959)

Mahler:
        Symphony no.10: adagio (ed.Berg/Krenek 1924)

Di Lasso:
        Missa pro Defunctis a 5 (1580)

Corigliano:
        Symphony no.1 (1988/’89)

Comment

Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750)
          Concerto for oboe and strings in F major reconstr. From BWV.1053 (originally keyboard & strings, after BWV.49 & BWV.169)
          Hans-Peter Westermann (oboe), Camerata Köln

Spohr, Louis (1784-1859)
          Sextet for strings (Op.140) in C major
          Wiener Streichsextett: Erich Höbarth, Peter Matzka (violins), Thomas Riebl, Siegfried Fuhrlinger (violas), Susanne Ehn, Rudolf Leopold (cellos).

🎹

Comment

Bruckner Symphony no.9 again. It's so addictive.
            The Scherzo is out of this world! His 'Farewell to Life' Adagio is pretty awesome too.

Last edited by Megan; 02-10-2011, 06:51 AM.
            🎹

Comment

I love listening to that last movement (Bruckner 9th) in a dark room (that helps me focus better). The effect is overwhelming.

This morning it was a Haydn Sonata in C Major, H XVI:50. The announcer said that it was either #50 or #60, depending on the catalog used. Either way it was very listenable.

Philip, on the source materials I don't know where those might be obtained. This is the closest I've come for what it's worth:

http://www.amazon.com/Zu-Bruckners-I...7347867&sr=1-9
              Last edited by Sorrano; 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.

Comment

Caught some of Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 on the way to work today. I don't know who was performing it, but it was the most ridiculously fast performance of it I have ever heard.

Comment

I think this site should interest Sorrano and Philip.

The Scores to Bruckners 9th Symphony. Navigate the movements from the left hand side of the page to view the scores.

http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variatio...rge/index.html
                  Last edited by Megan; 02-10-2011, 02:02 PM.
                  🎹

Comment

Today:

Rachmaninov:
                    The Isle of the Dead op.29

JSBach:
                    Cantate “Nach dir, Herr, verlanget mich” BWV 150 (1707/’08)

Reger:
                    Lateinische Requiem op.145a (1916)
                    Dies Irae (fragment, 1916)

Schnittke:
                    Requiem (1972/’78)

Berio:
                    Requies (1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                      I think this site should interest Sorrano and Philip.

The Scores to Bruckners 9th Symphony. Navigate the movements from the left hand side of the page to view the scores.

http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variatio...rge/index.html
                      Thanks Megan. What I'm really after is (are) the "reconstructed" score(s) of the finale of the Ninth and a copy of the autograph MSS in Bruckner's hand to compare. That would be a lovely early Xmas present to me. Hah!

Comment

I listened earlier today to Bruckner's 8th, first movement, with Jochum. Not to be sniffed at, this performance, but I'm really beginning to see the merits of Boulez's version with the Vienna Phil.

Comment

So, I'd like to say that I'm getting back into Bruckner these days; to be honest, I'm a little bit bored with Beethoven (Gasp! Horror! Blasphemy! Stone him to death! etc, etc etc ...), at least "symphonically". I need a break from him. However, please understand that I am not talking about the chamber music.
                          Last edited by Quijote; 02-10-2011, 08:09 PM. Reason: Heretics; don't you just love 'em?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                            Thanks Megan. What I'm really after is (are) the "reconstructed" score(s) of the finale of the Ninth and a copy of the autograph MSS in Bruckner's hand to compare. That would be a lovely early Xmas present to me. Hah!
                            Ok Philip, I'll see what I can ferret out ! I am pretty good at ferreting you know.

Anon (17th century)
                            Tickle my toe
                            Concordia, Mark Levy (conductor)

6:56 AM
                            Allegri, Lorenzo (1567-1648)
                            Ballo detto le Ninfe di Senna - from Il primo libro delle musiche
                            Tragicomedia - Milos Valent, Peter Spissky & Dagma Valentova (violins), Hille Perle (viola da gamba), Alexander Weimann (harpsichord), Stephen Stubbs (chitaronne).

Last edited by Megan; 02-11-2011, 06:01 AM.
                            🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                              So, I'd like to say that I'm getting back into Bruckner these days; to be honest, I'm a little bit bored with Beethoven (Gasp! Horror! Blasphemy! Stone him to death! etc, etc etc ...), at least "symphonically". I need a break from him. However, please understand that I am not talking about the chamber music.
                              I'm not gasping in horror! Obviously a varied diet of anything is essential to avoid boredom, even the finest dish becomes repellent served daily. The Beethoven symphonies are so familiar and have been recorded so many times that is hard to come to them with fresh ears, but I will never forget the sheer joy of first discovering them. With recordings it's so easy to overdose and I did just that when younger with the Beethoven symphonies - now I only listen to them twice daily!
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Found for Philip.

I am sure Philip and Sorrano will find this site of great interest.
                                Reconstruction of Bruckner's fanale to his 9th symphony,by Dr. Benjamin Gunnar-Cohrs, and Samale.
                                Sroll down the pages to view the scores. I went through it very briefly, but you will no doubt understand the references more than I do.

http://www.opusklassiek.nl/componist...le_wc_spcm.pdf

Courtesy of the Austrian National Library, Vienna.
                                Bruckner's own hand.

http://www.musicweb-international.co.../bruckner6.htm

Last edited by Megan; 02-11-2011, 07:53 AM.
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X