Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to Beethoven's "An Die Ferne Geliebte" with Peter Schreier and Walter Olbertz. (They just happened to call.)

Comment

Schubert, Symphony no.6

Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Trout Symphony.

Szymanowski, Karol (1882-1937)
      String Quartet No.2 (Op.56)
      Silesian Quartet

Hellendaal, Pieter (1721-1799)
      Concerto grosso for strings and continuo (Op.3 No.1) in G minor
      Slovak Chamber Orchestra, Bohdan Warchal (leader).

Last edited by Megan; 02-08-2011, 05:57 AM.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        Schubert, Symphony no.6

Liszt's transcription of Schubert's Trout.
        Szymanowski, Karol (1882-1937)
        String Quartet No.2 (Op.56)
        Silesian Quartet

Hellendaal, Pieter (1721-1799)
        Concerto grosso for strings and continuo (Op.3 No.1) in G minor
        Slovak Chamber Orchestra, Bohdan Warchal (leader).
        Ah, an early start megan, listening to BBC R3 Through the night?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          Ah, an early start megan, listening to BBC R3 Through the night?
          Yes, my husband gets up early for work . I guess morning is my best time of day.
          🎹

Comment

Beethoven - Piano Sonata, Op. 90

I have listened to it several times today. I don't give this one nearly enough attention.

Comment

I can't say precisely that I'm listening to this now, but I'm about to (in the next few days, in any case) : Bruckner's Ninth, with "reconstructed" Finale. Yes, like LvB's "Tenth", we have Bruckner's unfinished Ninth (movements 1-3 completed, the 4th in sketch form only). I'll keep you posted, so to speak!

Comment

Today:

Mozart:
                Rondo for horn and orchestra KV371 (ed.Kocsis) (R3:TtN)

Escher:
                Musique pour l’Esprit en Deuil (1943)

Strauss:
                Metamorphosen (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                  I can't say precisely that I'm listening to this now, but I'm about to (in the next few days, in any case) : Bruckner's Ninth, with "reconstructed" Finale. Yes, like LvB's "Tenth", we have Bruckner's unfinished Ninth (movements 1-3 completed, the 4th in sketch form only). I'll keep you posted, so to speak!
                  It's a bit more than a sketch, Philip. The full score is (apart from two missing pages of which the contents can be reconstructed very easily) complete (up to the moment the trumpet starts the "parsifal-tune", i.e. the beginning of the coda.
                  Sketches of the coda have survived of the 4 themes of the quadruplefuge as well as of the exposition of the 1st and 2nd objects and the 1st countersubject.
                  Actually of the approximately 22 minutes which this finale lasts some 17 have come down to us in the form of this full score and the following sketches.

Comment

Bruckner's 4th Symphony, enoyed this Romantic journey. The scherzo is interesting too, with the swirling and clashes of natural forces, or is it demons, then returning to more peaceful passages.
                    🎹

Comment

Elgar Dream of Gerontius (Adrian Boult).
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        It's a bit more than a sketch, Philip. The full score is (apart from two missing pages of which the contents can be reconstructed very easily) complete (up to the moment the trumpet starts the "parsifal-tune", i.e. the beginning of the coda.
                        Sketches of the coda have survived of the 4 themes of the quadruplefuge as well as of the exposition of the 1st and 2nd objects and the 1st countersubject.
                        Actually of the approximately 22 minutes which this finale lasts some 17 have come down to us in the form of this full score and the following sketches.
                        Yes, you're quite right, Roehre. It seems in fact that there about 578 bars of Finale "material" which has been reconstructed and wrought into a performing version by Samale, Phillips, Cohrs and Mazzuca.
                        I still haven't had the chance to listen to this CD (with the reconstructed finale) with Johannes Wildner conducting the New Philharmonic Orchestra of Westphalia (a 1998 recording, on Naxos).
                        The material Bruckner left is considerably more than LvB left us for his "Tenth". In any case, the proof will be in the pudding - will I be persuaded it is "Bruckner"?

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                          Bruckner's 4th Symphony, enoyed this Romantic journey. The scherzo is interesting too, with the swirling and clashes of natural forces, or is it demons, then returning to more peaceful passages.
                          Demons, away with ye !! A stomping Symphony this, the 4th is. Really, Bruckner is someone who knows how to score for the Brass ! Is it an Alpine tradition, I wonder? Hah !

Comment

What I have been listening to recently : Mozart, String Quartet No. 23 in F major, K590, 2nd movement (Andante). This is a wonderful movement, and one that I am exploiting in my harmony class : modulations (abrupt or gradual with pivot) and Augmented Sixths (German, French or Italian).
                            Our students are expected to "respect" the traditional counterpoint and harmony rules in their examinations; the trouble is, using examples by Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven often reveals instances where such "rules" are broken, and I have a hard job explaining myself! Hah! I'm paid to sweat, sometimes ...
                            Last edited by Quijote; 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM. Reason: Sorry to "talk shop" !

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                              Yes, you're quite right, Roehre. It seems in fact that there about 578 bars of Finale "material" which has been reconstructed and wrought into a performing version by Samale, Phillips, Cohrs and Mazzuca.
                              I still haven't had the chance to listen to this CD (with the reconstructed finale) with Johannes Wildner conducting the New Philharmonic Orchestra of Westphalia (a 1998 recording, on Naxos).
                              The material Bruckner left is considerably more than LvB left us for his "Tenth". In any case, the proof will be in the pudding - will I be persuaded it is "Bruckner"?
                              There is a version by William Carragan, as well. My favorite performance of the 9th contains this finale, as well as the sketches in their entirety. It's a Chandos CD featuring Yoav Talmi and the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra.

Megan, Bruckner is an undisputed master of the Scherzo.

This morning I listened the Haydn Symphony No. 47

Comment

Sorrano says

Megan, Bruckner is an undisputed master of the Scherzo.

Yes Sorrano, so I am learning .
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X