Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piano quartets Wo0 36

Hi Ludwig lovers,

I've just discovered (and listened to)Mozarts piano quartets, and discovered that B wrote some. They seem to be rare on CD. I see that they were featured on the rare page back in June, so I'm a bit late for that.

Anyway, can anyone give me their list of recordings of the Wo0 36 set. I'd like some idea of peoples favourites (a bit academic when the options seem so few) with a very to me getting a copy. I've found a supplier with the Cummings String Trio 1997 recording in stock. How does this one rate?

Most places (eg. amazon, cdnow) don't have anything in stock.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Gordon.

Welcome to the forum Gordon. The Cummings trio is the version we featured back in June - the label is Meridan, CDE84098. I'm afraid I know of no others!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon:
      Hi Ludwig lovers,

I've found a supplier with the Cummings String Trio 1997 recording in stock. How does this one rate?

Gordon.
      I have this recording, I know of only one other which i have not heard. The Cummings cd is vibrantly recorded and tempi are appropriate. The trios tone is sometimes a little rough and off-key, but the piano is very good. In the absence of an authentic instrument recording, which this music really needs, I certainly recommend it.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I have these quartets on DISCOVERY INTERNATIONAL DICD 920254 (distributed by Pickwick) played by the Scheuerer Quartet (yes, I'd never heard of them either). If still available, it's worth your £5 investment.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
          I have these quartets on DISCOVERY INTERNATIONAL DICD 920254 (distributed by Pickwick) played by the Scheuerer Quartet (yes, I'd never heard of them either). If still available, it's worth your £5 investment.
          Yes, this was the other disk now you mention it. How's it for lameness? Can the strings keep in tune and out of eccessive vibrato? If yes I may give it a try myself.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Yes, this was the other disk now you mention it. How's it for lameness? Can the strings keep in tune and out of eccessive vibrato? If yes I may give it a try myself.

No excessive vibrato for this listener. The strings sound in tune to me, and there's no mention in the sleevenotes about the recording being lame

Comment

Working...
            X