• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm, I seem to be a bit too predictable

--------------------

Today:

Elgar:
    In the South op.50 (are we sure it isn’t Richard Strauss in disguise?)

Walton:
    Viola concerto

Ireland:
    Piano concerto

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
      Hm, I seem to be a bit too predictable

--------------------
      But that's a good thing!

This morning:

Georges Enescu: Romanian Rhaphosdy No. 1

Malcolm Arnold: English Dance Sets I and II

Comment

Tonight:

Beethoven: Sonata for Cello and Piano, No. 3 in A Major, Op. 69
        Anthony Pleeth/Melvyn Tan

The Allegro Vivace from this work is just marvellous, especially the last few bars when the motif is repeated through several modulations, creating the feel of a coda and yet somehow reminiscent of a brief, jazz-like riff.

And for something different:

Biber: Mensa Sonora, Musica Antiqua Koln/Goebel
        Last edited by Bonn1827; 01-26-2011, 06:11 PM. Reason: Forgot the second piece!

Comment

Today:

Elgar:
          Symphony no.1 op.55

Shostakovich/Barshai:
          Chamber symphony opus 83a

Tallis:
          Spem in alium

Berio:
          Requies (1984)
          Corale (1981)
          Canticum Novissimi Testamenti II (1989/’93)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Today:
            Tallis:
            Spem in alium
            Good one. I have the feeling that no recording could do this justice. I would love to hear it live sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              Good one. I have the feeling that no recording could do this justice. I would love to hear it live sometime.
              Yes, one of those pieces (and the late middle ages and the renaissance produced many of them) which must be heard live, preferably in an environment for which they were composed, to appreciate (and understand) them fully.

Comment

Shostakovich: The Age of Gold Ballet Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                  Tonight:

Beethoven: Sonata for Cello and Piano, No. 3 in A Major, Op. 69
                  Anthony Pleeth/Melvyn Tan

The Allegro Vivace from this work is just marvellous, especially the last few bars when the motif is repeated through several modulations, creating the feel of a coda and yet somehow reminiscent of a brief, jazz-like riff.

And for something different:

Biber: Mensa Sonora, Musica Antiqua Koln/Goebel

Is Melvyn Tan playing the Beethoven Broadwood??
                  Last edited by Hofrat; 01-27-2011, 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
                  "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

I'm not exactly sure, Hofrat, as I've downloaded to my I-Pod and my CD is back in Australia. It is certainly a fortepiano, but I'm unsure about the type. He's a wonderful artist, though, isn't he?

Comment

Today:

JSBach:
                      Cantatas BWV 208 (hunt), 209 and 210

Stravinsky:
                      Cantata

Busoni:
                      Symphonische Suite opus 24

Comment

Tonight:

Handel, "Ariodante", Les Musiciens du Louvre/Minkowski

This is a magnificent recording of a quite wonderful work! Who wouldn't absolutely adore baroque music.
                        Last edited by Bonn1827; 01-27-2011, 10:23 PM. Reason: "What though the field be lost, all is not lost...." (Milton)

Comment

Right now I'm listening to recent sketches (my as yet unfinished 8th Symphony). Its title is "Jodete Jilipoyas Bonita Mil Ochocientos-Veinte-Siete". It is a work worthy of a mathematician. Or indeed a philosopher. Jeez, maybe it's by a composer? I don't know, I really must consult with some BBC commentator or other before I can make up my own mind...
                          Last edited by Quijote; 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM. Reason: Missing pronoun, idiota!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                            "Mil Ochocientos-Veinte-Siete".
                            Are you sure you are not Rosemary Brown composing beyond the grave?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827
                              Philip, why not just try Google and type in "translate" - that way everyone will think you're fluent in another language!
                              Indeed, as you are.
                              I've been in France for nearly 20 years. I think I can say my French is fairly good. My mother was Spanish, so I think I can say I'm bilingual (though admittedly rusty). My wife of ten years (or as I'm fond of saying, my "significant other") is German, so my German is "correct", though I consider it poor (I don't really know, I will have to consult a BBC commentator). What exactly is your point, Bonn 1827?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827
                                No, I'm flattered by all your attention Philip - as toxic as some of it often is. And you know very well that I don't read CD liner notes - I write them!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                You write them? Then really, you should be shot. We can continue to spar like this until the cows come home, but let's deal with it publically, and move on. Spare me the verbiage (verbatim, it strikes me, to be honest) you have lifted from whatever source it is (see above for meaningless blah blah), and things will go a lot better between us, though I'm sure other forum members really quite enjoy this sort of thing. I am (and will be) very happy to talk seriously about music in general and Beethoven in particular.

Comment

Working...
                                X