This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I found a series of releases on CPO that contain "Apocryphal" Bach works, and I am going to be listening to these this week. In some cases, the true authorship is now known, and in other cases it isn't. These kinds of pieces always fascinate me, because it's interesting to see what pieces were attributed to a famous composer and why. And I always get curious when there is a catalog number missing from a set of "complete" recordings and wonder what it might sound like it. Sometimes I think modern scholars are too quick to judge a work as not actually by Bach for reasons of "imperfections" in the writing.

In any case, today it is some apocryphal Bach cantatas, BWV 217-222. 218 and 219 are actually by Telemann, 222 is by Johann Ernst Bach, and the composers of 217, 220, and 221 are unknown.

These are good works, though, and worth hearing regardless of who actually composed them.
    In fact, these are excellent works, and it demonstrates that there is a host of unbelievably great music completely covered by dust as the works are composed by now un-famous composers, or even anonymous ones.

The fact that though these originally were considered to be Bach's and then were played as such, and now have disappeared into the archives again because JSB's authorship has been proven to be incorrect, shows that the public, the musicians and (with exception of CPO e.g.) the music companies are more interested in the name of a composer than in the actual quality of the works themselves.

Chris, I see from later posts that you've got three CPO "apocryphical Bach" CDs?
    Last edited by Roehre; 01-21-2011, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Today:

Alpaerts: Uilenspiegel (1928)

Rosseau: De Pracht van Sicilië (The Splendour of Sicily) (1948)

Meulemans: Stadspark (City park) (1928)

Comment

Has anybody looked at the NYTimes article about the "Top 10 composers", which is a consequence of the recent survey. I was interested to read what Tommasini had to say about Bach and the reasons he was regarded as Number 1. Also, his comments about LvB - these in the global edition of the NYTimes "International Herald Tribune", which we've just purchased today in Vienna.

And what I've been listening to? What I'm about to listen to... "Christus Oratorium" tonight in Stephensdom to celebrate the 200th Liszt anniversary. The cathedral is warm - I was surprised yesterday, when we called in to escape the fffrrreeeezing weather, that it is heated very effectively - except for the smell of gas!! So, I don't have any fear about being in the cold tonight for the performance.

Yesterday all those spruikers outside Stephensdom trying to flog concert tickets to the "Mozart/Strauss" thingy. When I said, "go away" to one of them he said, "don't you like classical music?" I looked at him contemptuously and said, "yes, and this is the reason why I won't be going to one of your concerts"!! Oh dear... Otherwise, Vienna is a dream - one I look forward to inhabiting for another 360 days!

Thanks, BTW, for those forum members who recommended thermal underwear - I'm forever grateful...!!!!!!!
        Last edited by Bonn1827; 01-22-2011, 03:09 PM. Reason: BBBrrrrr...

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          Chris, I see from later posts that you've got three CPO "apocryphical Bach" CDs?
          I have 5, which as far as I can tell is all of them from CPO:

1. Apocryphal St. Luke Passion (I've had this one for a while, the other four I've just bought and listened to for the first time)
          2. Apocryphal Cantatas (BWV 217-222)
          3. Apocryphal Cantatas II (BWV 15, 141, 142, 160)
          4. Apocryphal Masses and Magnificat (BWV Anh. 21, 25, 26)
          5. Aporyphal Motets (It says BWV Anh. 159-165, but 161 doesn't seem to be there)

I highly recommend them. The music is mostly great, the performances are wonderful, and the liner notes give some good information about the authorship of the pieces and how they came to be attributed to Bach. Ideal if you are looking for some great Baroque music by lesser-known composers or if you are curious about those missing catalog numbers.

Comment

Thanks Chris.
            Is the St.Luke an apocryphical work or a reconstruction? (both are possibilities) (I miscounted, the St.Luke is the only one I haven't got of the CPO "apocryphicals".)

=============

Today:

Pierné:
            Piano quintet opus 41 (1917)

Shostakovich/Barshai:
            Chamber Symphony in C op.49a

Chevreuille:
            Carnaval in Oostende op.72 (Carnival in Ostend) (1959)

Strens:
            Ensorciana (1970)

Comment

Thanks Chris.
              Is the St.Luke an apocryphical work or a reconstruction? (both are possibilities) (I miscounted, the St.Luke is the only one I haven't got of the CPO "apocryphicals".)
              It is apocryphal (The St. Mark Passion is a reconstruction). There is a surviving manuscript of it that is partially in Bach's hand, but it seems most scholars agree he did not compose it.

Comment

thanks Chris.
                ----------------

Today:

JSBach:
                Cantatas BWV 111 and 156, both for today (Epiphany 3)

Busoni:
                Lustspielouvertüre op.38
                Berceuse élégiaque op.42
                Gesang der Geister op.47

Stravinsky:
                2 suites for small orchestra

Tippett:
                Divertimento on Sellinger’s Round

Britten:
                Sinfonietta opus 1

Comment

Mozart symphonies 34, 36 & 36.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Haydn's Symphony No. 87. Wonderful music!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Mozart symphonies 34, 35 & 36.
                      Peter, if you've got a recording of 31 "Paris" as well, you should listen to that one with 34 immediately following. You'll be surprised by the strong similarities of especially the first movements of these two symphonies.

=============

Today:

Saint Saëns:
                      Cello concerto no.1 in a op.33 (from the latest BBC MM CD)

Wilhelm Kempff:
                      Quartet for flute, violin, ‘cello and piano in G opus 15 (1919/’20)

Jeths:
                      Falsa/Ficta (cello & orchestra) (1999)

Comment

This morning came out a bit odd to me:

Bowles: Music for a Farce, 6th Movement

Barber: Souvenirs

Dvorak: Finale from 6th Symphony

Comment

Sorrano;

The finale of Dvorak's 6th symphony is amazing. It could be a stand-alone piece.
                          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                            Sorrano;

The finale of Dvorak's 6th symphony is amazing. It could be a stand-alone piece.
                            Yes, indeed! I quite enjoyed it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                              Barber: Souvenirs
                              Sorrano, did you listen to the piano or the orchestral version of Barber's souvenirs?

Comment

Sorrano, did you listen to the piano or the orchestral version of Barber's souvenirs?
                                I wondered if you were going to ask that. It was the orchestral version.

Comment

Working...
                                X