• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josef Myslivecek: Overture in A Major

Flotow: Overture to Martha

Ernst: Violin Etude #6: "The Last Rose of Summer"

Comment

More apocryphal Bach today - motets. I love Bach's authentic motets, though he did not write many. These too are fine works.

BWV Anh. 159 - Previously attributed to Johann Christoph Bach, but it appears that this may actually be an authentic J.S. Bach work
      BWV Anh. 160 - This work seems to be part Telemann and part J.S. Bach
      BWV Anh. 162 - Actually by Georg Gottfried Wagner
      BWV Anh. 163 - Probably by one of Bach's cousins
      BWV Anh. 164 - Actually by Johann Christoph Altnickol
      BWV Anh. 165 - Actually by Johann Ernst Bach

I am used to hearing these kinds of works with some instrumental support, but in this recording there is none, which makes them sound a bit "less", but also more pure - the bases aren't obscured as sometimes happens when instruments are used.

Comment

Today it is the last CPO apocryphal Bach disc - more cantatas.

BWV 15 - Actually composed by Johann Ludwig Bach
        BWV 141 - Actually composed by Telemann
        BWV 142 - Actual composer unknown, perhaps Johann Kuhnau
        BWV 160 - Actually composed by Telemann

I must say, I really love this disc. Fine music and fine performances. This journey through "apocryphal Bach" has been very interesting and enjoyable.

Comment

Listening to an album of Pavarotti that includes a section from Rossini's Stabat mater. I find I am moved by this, the work is a favorite of mine.

Comment

The Anna Magdalena Notebook, performed by Pieter-Jan Belder and Johannette Zomer. I like Belder's harpsichord playing. He doesn't get TOO crazy with rubato and added ornamentation...still a little to much for my taste, though.

Comment

Glazunov - symphony no.5. I shall be working through his symphonies (having recently purchased a reasonably priced box set). No.5 is considered the most popular and on a first hearing I regard it as attractive but without much depth. He was a fine orchestrator and a precocious talent in his youth, admired by Rimsky-Korsakov and Tchaikovsky, whose last meal on earth he shared at that infamous Leiner's restauraunt dinner (of which I'm highly sceptical!). Shostakovich and Prokofiev were amongst his pupils.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm stuck on the computer all day today having another go at I-Tunes after a computer expert helped me. I'm listening to:

Purcell: Come ye sons of Art/Taverner Consort/Andrew Parrott

The piece, "Strike the Viol" is absolutely stunning. I adore Purcell's music!!

Comment

Bach - Art of Fugue; French Overture; Italian Concerto; Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro - Gustav Leonhardt

This is the later recording Leonhardt made of the Art of Fugue - exquisite playing.

Comment

This morning:

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 9 in E Major (John Lill) - great performance!

Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 21, 1st Movement (Mitsuko Uchida) - also great performance!

Comment

Interesting pieces playing now on BBC radio3 - Lili Boulanger: D'un soir triste; D'un matin de printemps. Lili Boulanger was the highly gifted younger sister of the renowned teacher Nadia Boulanger. Having been the first women to win the coveted Prix de Rome prize for composition in 1913, she died tragically young at 25.

Also Alice Mary Smith's 2nd symphony in A minor written in 1876 which is very Mendelssohnian! She was the first woman in England to write a symphony
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Bach - The Well Tempered Clavier - Again with Pieter-Jan Belder

Perhaps the best harpsichord version I have heard, and I love that he takes all the repeats.

Comment

Mendelssohn: Piano Quartet No. 2 in f Minor

Britten: Courtly Dances from Gloriana

Comment

Today only some Walton for me:

Cello concerto (the latest BBC MM- CD)

======

Abroad I took the opportunity to listen to:

Beethoven: Missa solemnis/ Cantata op.136/ Overtures opp.72, 113, 115, 117, 124/ Fantasy op.80/ Quartets opp.59-3, 74, 133/ Quartet as well as sonata opus 14-1

Brahms: 4 symphonies/ 2 sextets

Kelterborn: Symphony 4/ Canti/ Cello sonata

Leoninus & perotinus: Viderunt omnes as well as works from the Notre Dame School, Ars Antiqua and Ars Nova

Liszt: totentanz/ Concerto 3/ De Profundis

Mahler: Lied vd Erde/ 10 (Barshai realisation)

Nielsen: Symphony 1

Pfitzner: Palestrina-preludes/ Das Herz-Prelude/ Kätchen von Heilbronn-overture

Sibelius: En Saga/ Symphonies 1, 4, 6 and 7/ Violin concerto (1903 and 1905 versions)

Strauss: Alpensinfonie/ Preludes to Capriccio and Guntram

Tchaikovsky: Symphony 1

Wagner/Abbado: Parsifal-suite

Webern: All works for string quartet/ all orchestral works/ the cantatas opp.26, 29, 31

Zbinden: Concerto for orchestra/ Orchalau-concerto/ Oboe-concerto

Comment

Welcome back, Roehre!

This morning:
                              Grieg: Old Norwegian Romance with variations
                              Martin Raehs: Allegro with variations
                              Cleve: Etude in B Flat

A good Northern start for the day!

Comment

Thanks sorrano

Today's listening:

Dopper: ciaconna gotica (1920)

van Anrooy: Piet Hein Rhapsody (1901)