Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So ANYWAY, right now I'm listening to Finlandia (by Sibelius).

Comment

Franck: Piano Quintet in F Minor

(I'm still jet-lagged and on Aussie time).

Comment

Yes, ANYWAY : Bruckner 8th. I'm waiting for three scores of this work: the 1887 and 1890 (Haas / Nowak) versions. When I say I'm listening to Bruckner's 8th, I have to specify if it's the usual 1890 version (Haas or Nowak). The drag is I have two CD versions : Boulez/Vienna Phil/1890 version/Haas, or Jochum/Staatskapelle Dresden/1890 version/Nowak. I only have the 1890 Haas score edition at the moment. It is all rather confusing. Sorrano, help !!!!

Comment

Just a quick message to Bonn 1827, and then I think we shall be done and can return to normal service : I have asked you before (privately) not to send me any more PMs, but you continue to do so. Please stop this, and keep your comments public on this forum.

Comment

This morning:

"Pardon My English" and "Oh, Kay" - two fab musicals from the early 20th century from the Brothers Gershwin.

One particular song, from "Pardon My English", called "Dr Freud and Jung and Adler" is particularly witty, satirical and cryptic.

Comment

Let's keep all of this out of the forum, please.

Comment

Oooh, lovely! Rossini's Thieving Magpie , isn't this the piece where R was locked in the attic until he completed it?

I read that our Ludwig didn't like Rossini, thought he was a bit too bombastic.
                Well, I think, Ludwig himself could be bombastic too in his symphony endings, sometimes bordering on hysteria.
                ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I think Rossini's "Thieving Magpie" best belongs in "Clockwork Orange"!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Let's keep all of this out of the forum, please.
                    For a moment I thought I posted on the wrong forum.

Yes, let's keep this thread for the enjoyment of music please Pip.

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I'm certainly trying! Back to Bruckner, then ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                        I think Rossini's "Thieving Magpie" best belongs in "Clockwork Orange"!!!
                        Hi Bonn1827, I am glad I never saw the film 'Clockwork Orange' thankfully, therefore, don't associate the music with that film.
                        I understand that Stanley Kubrick regretted ever writing it.
                        Last edited by Megan; 01-28-2011, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Hi Megan,

Yeah, it was a pretty gruelling experience. But Kubrick at least introduced audiences to LvB - albeit in electronic form! Back in those days (ugh - showing my age!) the Moog Synthesizer was fashionable. For most of us it was simply awful, but I'm sure many people had their first experiences of "classical music" through that film and the LP record "soundtrack", which also included "Singing in the Rain" (improbably).

I think time will deal harshly with Stanley Kubrick, except for "Barry Lyndon" and "Paths of Glory". The former used quite a lot of "classical" music too, mostly notably Schubert.

Comment

Husband and I are both ill and indoors today, so it's:

Elgar, "Enigma" Variations, LSO/Boult - in a classic performance.

Love that last variation, with its grandeur - designed especially for the Albert Hall, or similar - and its introduction of the mighty organ in the last bars (or, at least, it always seem so to me). I've a weakness for this kind of stuff, requiring as it does both a warm, tender heart and a head to appreciate: ('unconditional love', aye, JoE??) Nothing cold and clinical, ascetic or astringent here.

I also love this composer's "Sea Pictures" sung by the incomparable Janet Baker. Is she still alive?
                            Last edited by Bonn1827; 01-28-2011, 10:29 AM. Reason: Here a word, there a word, everywhere a word word..!!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                              Yes, ANYWAY : Bruckner 8th. I'm waiting for three scores of this work: the 1887 and 1890 (Haas / Nowak) versions. When I say I'm listening to Bruckner's 8th, I have to specify if it's the usual 1890 version (Haas or Nowak). The drag is I have two CD versions : Boulez/Vienna Phil/1890 version/Haas, or Jochum/Staatskapelle Dresden/1890 version/Nowak. I only have the 1890 Haas score edition at the moment. It is all rather confusing. Sorrano, help !!!!
                              Have you tried Haitint's performance (with the Concertgebouw? I am thinking it is the same version as the Jochum recording, but I no longer have the LPs and do not remember which version. For me it is the "definitive" version from which I measure all others that I hear.

Comment

In the spirit of recent dialogue here, I am listening to Xenakis' Rebonds and very much enjoying it!

Comment

Working...
                                X