Anniversary of The Greatest Concert Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anniversary of The Greatest Concert Ever

202 years ago, this Wednesday, as you know, Beethoven hosted the epic concert where he debuted numerous utterly classic pieces. Here's my article from two years ago:

http://huff.to/fzBaU

If there was one night in history I could like to revisit it would be the night of that concert. But I would require a hot-water bottle!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      If there was one night in history I could like to revisit it would be the night of that concert. But I would require a hot-water bottle!
      And some glasses of brandy too, to survive all those avant garde works by that b***y revolutionary provincial guy

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        There were two occasions when you could have done a 'Doctor Who' - in August 2003 when I went to Vienna for a reconstruction of that concert and with temperatures around 37C we could have done with air-conditioning inside the Theater an Der Wien rather than hot water bottles!!
        The more appropriate event though was of course Dec 22nd 2008 which I was unfortunately unable to make.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Great article Greg - I linked to it on the Facebook Beethoven page...
          The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            And some glasses of brandy too, to survive all those avant garde works by that b***y revolutionary provincial guy
            Right! The guy couldn't even conduct properly.

Comment

There was a semi-reconstruction of concert about 5 years ago at Lincoln Center in New York, with most of the pieces, but obviously hot not cold weather! I was out of town...

Comment

Working...
              X