No announcement yet.

Stupid Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly, my apologies: Sheryl 'Crow' is the correct spelling. The Harold Arlen song ("One for My Baby") is one of a handful of such masterpieces in the genre in the 20th century (IMO). Another is his "The Man That Got Away" (from 'A Star is Born') sung by the incomparable Garland. As I grow older I'm bored by "The Beatles", sorry, and think them over-rated generally. My mother said this 30 years ago!! (Remember George Martin?) I love the key changes and moves to remote tonal places - not to mention witty, mordant, plangent, sophisticated lyrics - which occur with the great songwriters from 'tin pan alley'. Think of Kern, Gershwin, Porter (especially), Berlin et al. Geniuses all.

I agree with your comments about "Candide" - BUT Lennie Bernstein was a great, great composer for the musical theatre and I have to excuse him for this sin, or any others, for this very reason.

One of the great joys of knowing and understanding art music is one's ability to transpose that knowledge into its effects upon modern compositional influences and musical styles. You are quite right in identifying an inevitable path from, say, Korngold (just to name one) and his conservatoire training, right back to Beethoven. Isn't he the star in the musical firmament, par excellence? (As is JSB). As you suggest, this could be a separate thread all on its own - go for it!!

Comment

Oh yes, the Beatles are over-rated, together with most of the pop music world. George Martin has a lot to answer for! But at the very outset, they were fresh and vibrant, but they lost that. A superb rock 'n' roll song is 'Roll 'Em Pete' and I can't recall the singer - he was a black man, obviously, made no money from it, but he had talent, he was just born at the wrong time and on the wrong side of the tracks, m'am, and that's a fact

I have found the Sinatra track on the album 'Only the Lonely' on Amazon and will download it soon, thank you for that.

No, Bernstein was a very talented man, agreed, I just think Candide got a bit cloying but then it was for an American audience. Besides, Voltaire, my goodness, it doesn't get much better than that, translating that to the stage is a very tall order. I mentioned Couperin, but maybe only Mozart could have done it.

We are off topic! Let us hope there are no fascists about to tell us off! (I am going to reply on your Sonority thread when I have time to think it over.)

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
        sung by the incomparable Garland
        Just before I go out - yes, Judy Garland, she was incomparable. 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' in the famous film is the very sound of youthful innocence. It may not be 'Mir ist so wunderbar' but entirely on it's own terms it is so very touching.

I'd better go now, after all, we are on a Beethoven board, and somehow I don't think we're in Kansas

Comment

"JoE", thought you might be interested in this!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225979379492

Comment

Thank you for that I shall look out for the book. That seems to be a good newspaper, better journalism than we encounter most of the time in the UK.

Comment

Working...
            X