Birthday Wishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday Wishes

A few minutes early, but to start on an ultra-light note, the Charlie Brown gang celebrate Beethoven Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qeazGmme1Y

Very cute!!
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Yes 240 and still going strong! Of course for Beethoven 25th August, his nameday was of more significance.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Yes 240 and still going strong! Of course for Beethoven 25th August, his nameday was of more significance.
        That's interesting, Peter - what is a name day exactly? I've only heard of that from B's Nameday Ovtr, but never looked up what that means....
        The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Beethoven may be 240 today, but my granddaughter, Anna, is one!
          Twelve months on and we still can't get over the incredible coincidence.

Comment

(I notice, courtesy of the Google home page, that this is also Jane Austen's birthday. It may be pride or prejudice on my part, but I think Google should have gone with my granddaughter.)
            Last edited by Michael; 12-16-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Happy Birthday to Beethoven and to your granddaughter, Michael!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                Happy Birthday to Beethoven and to your granddaughter, Michael!
                Thanks, Sorrano. (That was quick!)

Comment

Originally posted by Ed C View Post
                  That's interesting, Peter - what is a name day exactly? I've only heard of that from B's Nameday Ovtr, but never looked up what that means....
                  It is usually a saints day and the person named after them celebrated that day rather than their birthday. I'm not quite sure who St.Ludwig was - was he the husband of St. Elizabeth of Hungary?
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm not quite sure who St.Ludwig was - was he the husband of St. Elizabeth of Hungary?
                    No, he was Louis IX of France.

Comment

It is usually a saints day and the person named after them celebrated that day rather than their birthday. I'm not quite sure who St.Ludwig was - was he the husband of St. Elizabeth of Hungary?
                      No, he is Louis IX, king of France from 1226 to 1270. He died on August 25th, 1270 in Tunis, during the 8th (and last Crusade) that he led.

Comment

On birthday, seems apt to post stunning excerpt from first major work, put up at YouTube not long ago. Of course, as we know, it re-surfaced later in "Fidelio."

http://youtu.be/ecPHeLDAPls

Comment

Originally posted by GregMitch View Post
                          On birthday, seems apt to post stunning excerpt from first major work, put up at YouTube not long ago. Of course, as we know, it re-surfaced later in "Fidelio."

http://youtu.be/ecPHeLDAPls
                          Oh yeah! - this Cantata is drop-dead incredible. No pun intended
                          The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Happy Birthday Ludwig! (There was a reference in the Peanuts comic in the newspaper today).
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

It's a very cold and snowy Happy Birthday Beethoven day here yesterday in Heiligenstadt.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Working...
                              X