Kids and music - an example

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids and music - an example

A short while ago, my kids and I were watching one of their favorite cartoons, it's called "Arthur" I don't know if you have heard about it but it is an aardvark that is in 4th grade and it's about things that happen when you are that age, it is quite cute and funny. Anyhow, Arthur in one show is playing the piano and he is rehearsing for a school performance. He starts playing Fur Elise, and my 3 yr old says to me "mom, it's your song!" all excited!... now I know this is trivial but to me, that was music to my ears. My other son (just turned 6) who was watching with us asked me about who wrote that song (which I was more than willing to oblige...heehee) So introducing kids to classical music at an early age (without "forcing" it on them) is definitely a good thing, in my opinion. My daughter (who is 9) became a Beethoven fan after seeing the movie "Beethoven lives Upstairs", and she also found it really neat that Arthur was playing Beethoven!

Originally posted by Julie:
    A short while ago, my kids and I were watching one of their favorite cartoons, it's called "Arthur" I don't know if you have heard about it but it is an aardvark that is in 4th grade and it's about things that happen when you are that age, it is quite cute and funny. Anyhow, Arthur in one show is playing the piano and he is rehearsing for a school performance. He starts playing Fur Elise, and my 3 yr old says to me "mom, it's your song!" all excited!... now I know this is trivial but to me, that was music to my ears. My other son (just turned 6) who was watching with us asked me about who wrote that song (which I was more than willing to oblige...heehee) So introducing kids to classical music at an early age (without "forcing" it on them) is definitely a good thing, in my opinion. My daughter (who is 9) became a Beethoven fan after seeing the movie "Beethoven lives Upstairs", and she also found it really neat that Arthur was playing Beethoven!
    Oh yeah...I've seen that one too. I think it's good that kids learn from an early age, which my mum did to me too. Later on, they'll have musical tastes other than Britney Spears etc.

Comment

Nice story Julie! Education before any prior misconceptions and prejudices take hold is the way to introduce kids to Classical music.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I know "Arthur" Julie. It is exciting when someone recognizes a song that you can play on the piano. That just happened to me last night. I had some friends over and we got to watching this PBS special about 18th century furniture and they had a late 18th century piano where someone was playing the 2nd movement of 'The Pathetique' and my friends said, "Hey, that sounds just like you!" What a compliment!! I get the same reaction when they hear 'Fur Elise.'

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 09-06-2001).]
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Hey Julie!

I think that it is so cool that you can watch tv shows with your kids and they appreciate the kind of music that you listen too. Arthur is a very good show kids. It tells them that it is ok to be different.

Comment

Dear Julie,

Good for you, it is good that your kids have taken a an interset in Beethoven without it being forced on them. I think that If I was forced into playing music, I would have been turned astray! It is also very hard for some parents (that I know) who are very musical, NOT to force it upon their children. I think that to get them started, you have to make them curious, and it does give children great pleasure to recognise songs on the T.V!

oboe_15 (18 days till I am oboe_16)

------------------
            Beethoven and all composers Rock!
            Beethoven and all composers Rock!

Comment

Oh yeah, and Buster showed Arthur this picture of Beethoven...that gave me boosebumps!

Comment

Working...
              X