Glenn Gould's "Pastoral" -- Symphony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glenn Gould's "Pastoral" -- Symphony

I know many dislike much, if not most, of Glenn Gould's Beethoven playing, and I have trouble finding strong points myself. My friend Tim Page, who became close to Glenn, agrees. The Pastoral sonata is one exception but my favorite work of anything he did --and one of my favorites for any pianist -- is his version of the Liszt transcription of the 6th symphony. (He did the 5th symphony at the same time and it is not so great.) But the Pastoral...if you haven't heard it, don't waste another minute and get it. The 2nd movement goes on forever and ever -- almost 21 minutes! -- and I'd hate to lose a minute of it. Here's the first part of it on You Tube, with the 2nd part easy to find.
    Last edited by GregMitch; 11-16-2010, 02:18 AM.

Thanks Greg. I quite like Gould, too. And, enjoyed the link very much. Also, the length is great - savor the feelings! I wish it was performed by orchestra's at that length.
    Last edited by Preston; 11-16-2010, 08:05 PM.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

You can clearly hear the Bach player here, bringing out the individual parts clearly - however I'm not really a fan of the tempo which Beethoven marks Andante molto moto.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I believe Gould was very impressed with Richter's playing of Schubert slow movements - he called it mesmerizing I think. I love to hear Glenn speak but I'm not sure he captures it for me here..personal taste, tho I respect the act greatly.
        The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          You can clearly hear the Bach player here, bringing out the individual parts clearly - however I'm not really a fan of the tempo which Beethoven marks Andante molto moto.
          Peter, I am pretty sure that it is Andante Molto Mosso. Meaning at a walking pace and very, very slow. Either way, I have a question for you - with Beethoven's intentions put aside - whatever they may have been - which way do you enjoy it most? The standard 12 minutes or a much slower and more savory feel?
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            Peter, I am pretty sure that it is Andante Molto Mosso. Meaning at a walking pace and very, very slow. Either way, I have a question for you - with Beethoven's intentions put aside - whatever they may have been - which way do you enjoy it most? The standard 12 minutes or a much slower and more savory feel?
            It doesn't mean 'very very slow' - it means with much movement - i.e quicker than Andante. Without doubt I prefer what Beethoven asks for, nor can you simply put that aside as not being important. Tempi are integral to the character of a piece and to suggest it doesn't matter what the composer wants is wrong. Beethoven became very fastidious in his later works in stating exactly how he wanted his music interpreted - the recitative and slow movement of Op.110 are a classic example of this where in a few pages he has around 50 performance directions.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
            X