Greatest version of "Missa Solemnis"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatest version of "Missa Solemnis"?

I know the recorded versions have been debated here -- and feel free to do it again -- but I've just come across my favorite, a September live performance via You Tube by Staatskapelle Dresden, with Erina Garanca and other great singers. In 9 parts here.

Thanks for the link GregMitch! and welcome to the board (from a relative newbie myself). My fav Missa was the one I saw live with Alan Gilbert and the NY Phil last June. It's was sublime and it was the performance which convinced me that I liked Gilbert's conducting. I'll be posting your video link on my blog one of these days when I'm being lazy

(PS - the Bohm Missa is probably my reference recording, after that the recent Herreweghe..)
    The Daily Beethoven

Comment

My favorite is a Leonard Bernstein version with the NY Phil recorded back in the early '60's.

Comment

Thanks. Yes, I saw the NY Phil one in June and was terrific--except lead violinist Dictorow weak in the crucial Benedictus, also did not stand and sound larglely lost. A big minus in an overall plus. I presume people may disagree on value on solo violinist standing for that...

Comment

Ed C-- big fan of your blog, although just discovered it a few days ago! I went back and checked posts from past few months.....great.

Comment

Originally posted by GregMitch View Post
            Thanks. Yes, I saw the NY Phil one in June and was terrific--except lead violinist Dictorow weak in the crucial Benedictus, also did not stand and sound larglely lost. A big minus in an overall plus. I presume people may disagree on value on solo violinist standing for that...
            ah, I forgot about that - I have to agree about Dictorow, seems like a really nice guy and all, but the violin solo was definitely not as glorious as it should have been, too quiet and a bit on the shaky side intonation-wise too maybe. They did 3 shows so I was assuming I saw an off-night, but maybe not....still it was a great experience to see live.

PS - glad you like the blog, thanks!
            The Daily Beethoven

Comment

I like the Colin Davis/London Symphony recording that came with the Brilliant complete set. It spans over one cd (which is good), with the Agnus Dei movements being on the second. It also has The Mass in C on the second disc.
              Last edited by Preston; 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM.
              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I generally like Davis' interpretations of that period, particularly of Haydn's music. That will be a CD to check out.

Comment

Sorrano, I would be glad to send you a movement to your email from the CD?

Comment

wow - I just realized that Youtube user OedipusTyrannus actually uploaded TWO performances of the Missa Solemnis - one by Thielemann and an earlier one by Nelson and the COE (Chamber Orch of Europe). An embarrassment of riches....thanks again GregMitch.
                    The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                      Sorrano, I would be glad to send you a movement to your email from the CD?
                      Thanks, Preston! I've sent you a PM. By the way, which recording of Davis' is this? And, if anyone else has a preference, any recommendations which of his would be the more satisfying (on Amazon there is a listing of several different performances)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                        Thanks, Preston! I've sent you a PM. By the way, which recording of Davis' is this? And, if anyone else has a preference, any recommendations which of his would be the more satisfying (on Amazon there is a listing of several different performances)?
                        It does not say which year. Though, it does say the soloists names. I will mention two:

- Robert Tear: tenor
                        - Robert Lloyd: bass

I will send you the file right after I post this, .

Comment

It looks like the Oct 12, 1993 performance. It is available on Amazon.

And thanks, again!

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                            It does not say which year. Though, it does say the soloists names. I will mention two:

- Robert Tear: tenor
                            - Robert Lloyd: bass

I will send you the file right after I post this, .
                            After listening to the selection you sent I have to say that I quite liked what I heard. It looks like I will need to purchase that (a bonus is that it also has the other mass and I am looking forward to what Sir Colin Davis does with it.)

Comment

I have always liked Klemperer's recording with the New Philharmonia Chorus & Orchestra. It's certainly an epic and grand recording.

Comment

Working...
                              X