Gift CDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift CDs

When I travel, I like to bring CDs of American music as gifts. I think it is an "American" gift, and CDs are small and easy to carry. Can anyone recommend particular favorites? I've considered U.S. orchestra performances of Beethoven, but I'd rather do American composers. I'm thinking Samuel Barber, Duke Ellington, and Edward MacDowell. Are there others who would be particularly well-received outside the U.S?

Two of my favorites are Gershwin and Joplin. I don't know how well these would be received outside the US (or really what that means), but there is something very American about the music of those two, and many of their works can be enjoyed by people who do not necessarily like "classical" music.

Comment

Originally posted by susanwen View Post
      When I travel, I like to bring CDs of American music as gifts. I think it is an "American" gift, and CDs are small and easy to carry. Can anyone recommend particular favorites? I've considered U.S. orchestra performances of Beethoven, but I'd rather do American composers. I'm thinking Samuel Barber, Duke Ellington, and Edward MacDowell. Are there others who would be particularly well-received outside the U.S?
      Nice idea, Susanwen. If your intended recipients are, shall we say, a little less "mainstream", may I suggest the following :
      Eliott Carter, John Cage, John Adams, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Charles Ives, Walter Piston, et al ...
      I invite Roehre to extend the list. Hah!

Comment

But don't bother about Milton Babbitt (spelling?).

Comment

Leroy Anderson was a fantastic American composer of "light" music. Pieces like the "Typewriter", "The Syncopated Clock" and the "Blue Tango" have resonated throughout my childhood. I would bet that everyone on this forum knows a Leroy Anderson piece without necessarily being able to identify it.

Totally unconnected, but Ferde Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite" is a winner.
          Last edited by Michael; 10-27-2010, 02:36 AM. Reason: It's 3.30 in the morning, for God's sake!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
            Nice idea, Susanwen. If your intended recipients are, shall we say, a little less "mainstream", may I suggest the following :
            Eliott Carter, John Cage, John Adams, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Charles Ives, Walter Piston, et al ...
            I invite Roehre to extend the list. Hah!
            No Ligeti?

Comment

Working...
            X