Least favourite Beethoven works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Least favourite Beethoven works

Philip's remarks on the Triple concerto prompted me to think about Beethoven works I'm not that fond of myself and the two that spring immediately to mind are 'The rage over the lost penny' and 'Wellingtons Sieg'. As for the Triple concerto, though not Beethoven's finest I wouldn't describe it as 'utter rubbish' and perhaps Philip could elaborate on this? The second movement is especially lovely.
    'Man know thyself'

One of my least favourite works of Beethoven is, Ruins of Athens - Turkish March.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtg8G...eature=related
    🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Philip's remarks on the Triple concerto prompted me to think about Beethoven works I'm not that fond of myself and the two that spring immediately to mind are 'The rage over the lost penny' and 'Wellingtons Sieg'. As for the Triple concerto, though not Beethoven's finest I wouldn't describe it as 'utter rubbish' and perhaps Philip could elaborate on this? The second movement is especially lovely.
      Well, I was being a little bit flippant (and trying to cheer Preston up), I'll admit. But the Triple Concerto is for me a substandard work, and the second movement is indeed that work's saving grace. The other two movements : well, I wonder if he got Ries to compose them for him as an exercise? Add icon!

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        One of my least favourite works of Beethoven is : Ruins of Athens - Turkish March.
        Agreed !

Comment

Für Elise, The Glorious Moment, and the Moonlight. The 1st and 3rd examples because of overexposure, the 2nd because, as with the "Triple", substandard.
          Last edited by Quijote; 10-12-2010, 01:30 PM. Reason: Missing "speech" mark.

Comment

And (with much regret but total honesty), the last movement of the Ninth. It simply strikes me as "over-laboured". Sure, there are great moments, great passages ... In the final analysis it just doesn't "work" for me. Am I alone in this sentiment?

Comment

This is a hard question. Nothing really strikes me as substandard or not enjoyable. A couple of the earlier piano concertos were never favorites of mine, though that might be because I've spent less time with them than other works. Some of the lieder as well, though if my understanding of German were better, that might not be true. Symphony No. 2 was always my least favorite of the symphonies, though I don't dislike it.

Comment

I know that this composition was actually still a "fragmentary sketch work in progress" (due only to the fact that Beethoven died before it could be completed), but my least favorite work would have to be his Symphony No. 10 in E flat major. I have the 1988 cd of the work Barry Cooper made on the sketches Beethoven started with on this new symphony but I was not impressed at all. God knows how this tenth symphony would have really sounded like if only Beethoven lived long enough to actually finish it...hopefully better.
                "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                  And (with much regret but total honesty), the last movement of the Ninth. It simply strikes me as "over-laboured". Sure, there are great moments, great passages ... In the final analysis it just doesn't "work" for me. Am I alone in this sentiment?
                  While I would not regard the finale of the 9th as a "least favorite", I do prefer the choral writing of the masses. Perhaps the movement would work better as a stand-alone piece, minus part of the introduction. I do prefer several other of his symphonies over the 9th, but I have to confess that I do like the 9th as it stands, regardless of weaknesses.

Comment

Für Elise, The Glorious Moment, and the Moonlight. The 1st and 3rd examples because of overexposure, the 2nd because, as with the "Triple", substandard.
                    I am not familiar with The Glorious Moment. The other two works you've mentioned are not bad if you ignore the overexposure. I enjoy playing them, but would not willingly play them for others because of that reason.

Comment

All the works (besides The Glorious Moment) which have been named here as least favourite works I love! Especially the Triple concerto, the 4th movement of op. 125, the 2nd symphony, the Barry Cooper movement, Moonlight sonata (last movement!!)... what wonderful works are these!!

Weak works for me are some of the early chamber music and early piano sonatas. The sonatas op. 14 for example, the most from the quartetts op. 18 or String Trios don't speak to me at all.

Gerd
                      Last edited by gprengel; 10-18-2010, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
                        All the works (besides The Glorious Moment) which have been named here as least favourite works I love! Especially the Triple concerto, the 4th movement of op. 125, the 2nd symphony, the Barry Cooper movement, Moonlight sonata (last movement!!)... what wonderful works are these!!

Weak works for me are some of the early chamber music and early piano sonatas. The sonatas op. 14 for example, the most from the quartetts op. 18 or String Trios don't speak to me at all.

Gerd
                        I'd agree about some of Op.18 - in fact the only one I really love is no.1 in F, surely you'd agree about that one Gerd?!
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'd agree about some of Op.18 - in fact the only one I really love is no.1 in F, surely you'd agree about that one Gerd?!
                          oh yes, especially because of the great slow movement! Also op. 18,4 in c-minor, 1st mov. is wonderful!

Comment

I cannot question personal preference (a work or other "not speaking to you") Gerd and Peter, but I do believe they show great mastery, unlike the "Triple"!
                            Cellists and pianists will never see eye to eye (or even hear "ear to ear"), methinks.

Comment

I cannot question personal preference (a work or other "not speaking to you") Gerd and Peter, but I do believe they show great mastery, unlike the "Triple"!
                              Why do you dislike the Triple Concerto? The Rondo I love more than any other Rondo (right behind those from the 4th and 5th piano concerto), I love it more than that from the violin concerto... It has so beautiful cantilene passages ...!

Regarding op. 18: Which movements do you mean when you speak of "mastery"?

Comment

Working...
                              X