Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roehre, those are wonderful works of Bruckner! I particularly like the Mass in e.

Thanks to Preston's recommendation, I've taken time out to listen to much of the Sir Colin Davis rendition of the Missa Solemnis. I am not disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      The excellent performances by Arthur Grumiaux of the Mozart concertos reveal works of great elegance and vitality.
      Indeed, those are excellent recordings. I haven't listened to the Beethoven fragment in a while, so maybe I'll have to go back and listen to it again, with Mozart's and Haydn's concertos in mind.

Comment

today:

Haapalainen
        Lemminkainen Overture (1925) (R3: TtN)

Dvorak:
        Stabat Mater op.58

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          ...I've taken time out to listen to much of the Sir Colin Davis rendition of the Missa Solemnis. I am not disappointed!
          Glad to see that it worked out for you, Sorrano, .
          - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
            Glad to see that it worked out for you, Sorrano, .
            It's a great recording. I got it first as a Philips 3LP set in the late 1970s, and I've cherished both Masses in that performance ever since.

Comment

Toscanini's rendition of Missa Solemnes is very energetic.
              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                Toscanini's rendition of Missa Solemnes is very energetic.
                I will have to give that another listen; it's one of my "must have" versions.

Comment

Today:

Handel (arr.Mozart)
                  Acis & Galathea: Sinfonia and Introduction to Act 2 HWV 49a/KV566 (R3: TtN)

Ullmann:
                  Piano sonata no.7 (1944) as orchestrated by Wulff as Symphony no.2 (1989) (twice)

Comment

Today:

Ullmann:
                    Piano concerto opus 25 (1939)

Beethoven arr. Mahler:
                    Symphony no.9 op.125
                    A pity (to me) that it is unclear which of Mahler’s amended scores had been used, as he revised the Ninth continually between 1895 and 1910, and at least three full, but differently annotated and changed, conducting scores have survived. (R3: Ao3)

Jolivet:
                    Concertino for trumpet, piano and orchestra (1948)
                    Trumpet concerto nr.2 (1954)

Serocki:
                    Trombone concerto (1952)

Comment

"What are you listening to now"

Well, my wife on her mobile phone to her sister. The conversation started off rather briskly, followed by a slow section (in which they described their various aches and pains) and it finished up with a fine uplifting talk in which they outlined their Christmas shopping plans. Rather enjoyable.

Comment

Oh, and Beethoven's String Quintet, Opus 29, by the Amadeus Quartet (plus one viola). One of my all-time favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          "What are you listening to now"

Well, my wife on her mobile phone to her sister. The conversation started off rather briskly, followed by a slow section (in which they described their various aches and pains) and it finished up with a fine uplifting talk in which they outlined their Christmas shopping plans. Rather enjoyable.
                          That isn't another Cage work, is it?

Comment

No, there's no chance of four minutes of silence with my wife and sister-in-law!

Just listening to the "Creatures of Prometheus". Amazing music from around the period of the Second Symphony. It's hard to believe that only the overture gets and outing these days.

Comment

Not too much time to listen, today only:

Ullmann:
                              Piano sonata no.5 op.45 “From my Youth” (1943)
                              orchestrated by Wulff as Symphony no.1 op.45a (1994)

Comment

Lol!

Listening to some of Beethoven's works for winds and brass.
                                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                                X