Comment

Today:

Flothuis:
      Pour le Tombeau d'Orphée op.37 (1950)
      Sonata da Camera op.42 (1951)

Louis Andriessen:
      Trepidus (1973)

Liszt:
      Album d'un Voyageur I: Impressions et Poésis S.156/1 (1838)

Mendelssohn:
      Psalm 42 opus 42 (1837)

Comment

Today;

Schubert:
        Mass in A-flat D.678

Mahler:
        symphony no.1 (NYPh/Mitropoulos 1947)

Comment

This morning was Stravinsky's Symphony in C. I used to loath him as a composer, but have really turned on to his music.

Comment

Today:

Schubert:
            Lazarus-fragment D.689

Denisov:
            Lazarus-completion for Schubert's fragment

Carter:
            Symphony for three orchestras
            Symphonia

Comment

Today:

Rubinstein:
              Symphony no.5 in g op.107 (1880)

Skempton:
              Lento

Comment

Debussy's Quartet today.

Comment

Elgar's Falstaff - trying to like it, but can't, so I went back to his 2nd symphony which I do.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Blacher:
                    Partita (1945)

Weill:
                    Zu Postdam unter den Eichen (1929)

Goldschmidt:
                    2 Psalms (1935)

Comment

Today:

Brahms:
                      Gesang der Parzen op.89
                      Schicksalslied op.54
                      Nänie op.82
                      Ein Deutsches Requiem op.45

Blacher:
                      Sonatine for piano no.2 (1940)
                      3 Psalms (1943)

Kalabis:
                      Diptych for strings op.66 (1986)

Veress:
                      String quartet no.1 (1931)

The latest BBC Music Magazine CD,
                      Trumpet concertos by Hummel and Haydn, and arrangements from Vivaldi and Albinoni works.
                      Not repertoire that I normally feel attracted to, but the performances are lovely and well recorded indeed.

Comment

Beethoven string trio op.9/3 in C minor which is I think the finest of the set - yet again a minor key seems to inspire the best in a composer.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          Beethoven string trio op.9/3 in C minor which is I think the finest of the set - yet again a minor key seems to inspire the best in a composer.
                          And with that pre-echo of the material shared in opp.131, 132 and 133: the opening notes C-B-A.flat-G.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            Beethoven's early unfinished C major violin concerto - not impressed with this and can see why he abandoned it, the thematic material is just not interesting.
                            I beg to differ here, Peter.

1.Beethoven most likely did not abandon the concerto. It has not completely survived. The score shows all the signs of a once complete score of which all the music following bar 259 at the right hand side of a verso page has gone missing.
                            In the London British Museum Miscellany e.g. rather extensive sketches for the 1st mvt's cadenza can be found.

2.Compare this music composed in 1790 by a not yet twenty years old lad with the Mozart concertos (K.207,211,216,218,219) written at approximately the same age in 1775 and with contemporary concertos, like the violin concertos by Haydn. Then you will discover the power of the beethovenian work, though admittedly, the melodic invention is not at the level of the later Beethoven, but definitely on par with e.g. the contemporary arias, the octet or the Ritterballet.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                              I beg to differ here, Peter.

1.Beethoven most likely did not abandon the concerto. It has not completely survived. The score shows all the signs of a once complete score of which all the music following bar 259 at the right hand side of a verso page has gone missing.
                              In the London British Museum Miscellany e.g. rather extensive sketches for the 1st mvt's cadenza can be found.

2.Compare this music composed in 1790 by a not yet twenty years old lad with the Mozart concertos (K.207,211,216,218,219) written at approximately the same age in 1775 and with contemporary concertos, like the violin concertos by Haydn. Then you will discover the power of the beethovenian work, though admittedly, the melodic invention is not at the level of the later Beethoven, but definitely on par with e.g. the contemporary arias, the octet or the Ritterballet.
                              Well I'm not sure a comparison with the Mozart concertos is useful, but if it has to be made I'd still come out in favour of those rather than the Beethoven fragment which I think is melodically very uninteresting and unmemorable. The excellent performances by Arthur Grumiaux of the Mozart concertos reveal works of great elegance and vitality.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Glazunov
                                Reverie - for horn and piano in D flat major opus 24 (R3: TtN)

Artur Kapp
                                Cantata 'Paikesele' ('To the Sun') (1912) (R3: TtN)

JSBach:
                                Cantata “Wachet! Betet! Betet! Wachet!” BWV 70, the only cantata written for Trinity 26 (today)

Martinu:
                                Partita H.212 (1932)
                                Serenata II H.216 (1932)

Bruckner:
                                Mass no.2 in e
                                Mass no.3 in f
                                Psalm 150

Comment

Working...
                                X