Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to Emil Gilels playing the "Apassionata". He takes part of the opening movement quite slowly, but I am beginning to think that this is my favourite version of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Listening to Emil Gilels playing the "Apassionata". He takes part of the opening movement quite slowly, but I am beginning to think that this is my favourite version of all.
      Gilels was the first interpreter I ever heard of the "Emperor" concerto, blew my socks off.

Comment

Today:

von Schilings:
        Violin concerto op.25 (1910)

R.I.P. Gorecki:
        Symphony no.2 "Copernicus" op.31 (1972)

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
          Furthermore, how is one to define "living without music for 3 or 4 days"? Not hearing the art, or not practicing (in whatever guise) the art? There are days when I "go without music" in any applied sense, but music is around us at all times. Can I go without actually playing music for several days at end? Yes, easily, especially on holiday. I call this sort of journalism "cant" because it reinforces the ridiculous reification of the composer/musician as "aesthete" or "mystic".
          Didn't Beethoven write something similar to this in his Heiligenstadt Testament? Perhaps Gorecki's meaning was deeper; should one exclude the music that is "around us at all times" then you can say that one is living without music for 3 or 4 days. It is a matter of willful exclusion than simply abstaining.

Comment

Welcome back, Roehre!

Listened to Swan of Tuonela (Sibelius). This fit the mood after the Wagner this morning.

Comment

Gilels was the first interpreter I ever heard of the "Emperor" concerto, blew my socks off.
              I was wondering what the smell was!
              Seriously, though, he is good at tickling the ivories.

Comment

I call this sort of journalism "cant" because it reinforces the ridiculous reification of the composer/musician as "aesthete" or "mystic".
                Is this as in Stephanie Cant, the excellent conductor/composer?
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Me too - perhaps you also bought the box set of lps back in the 70's with the Cleveland and Szell? - must have been a special offer!

Unfortunately I rarely listen to it now as it's quite a palava setting it up on my old stereo and I have to confess to a terrible lack of lp respect as a teenager so consequently my rather large lp collection is almost outdone by as much dust!
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    Welcome back, Roehre!

Listened to Swan of Tuonela (Sibelius). This fit the mood after the Wagner this morning.
                    I'm also listening to Sibelius - symphonies 1 and 4. After watching a documentary on Elgar yesterday, I shall be listening to his wonderful 2nd symphony later today.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning was Faure's suite from "Pelleas et Mellisande". That was a nice way to wake up.

Comment

Fauré. Pelléas. Mélisande. Yàwn, I know. Nah, just kidding with you! Add rélévànt icön.

Comment

Fauré. Pelléas. Mélisande. Yàwn, I know. Nah, just kidding with you! Add rélévànt icön.
                          It's just as well you didn't see the listing on the website, but I will be mean and quote it for your displeasure:

"Faur‚ "Pell‚as et Boston Sym DG 423089-2 0:20:51
                          M‚lisande," Op 80 Orch/Seiji Ozawa;"

Apparently, e's and commas got mixed on the title and composer. But no accents, either.

Comment

Beethoven string trios Op.9.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

(... leaping into this thread via my newly invented technique called "upward bathos", given that bathos normally works "top-down") : Eroica, movement 1, bars 275-284, the beginning of that famous "E minor episode", a delicious V7/9 chord that is so poignant it makes me weep. As the weekend is over, I thought it time to get serious.

Comment

Today:

Melartin:
                                Consolation (1930) (R3: TtN)

JSBach:
                                Cantatas BWV 90 and 116, for today (Trinity 25)
                                as well as
                                Cantatas BWV 106 (Actus tragicus) and 198 (Trauer-ode)

Magnard:
                                Chant funèbre op.9 (1896)

Coles:
                                Behind the lines (1918)

Stephan:
                                Musik für Orchester in einem Satz (1913)

Escher:
                                Musique pour l'Esprit en Deuil (1943)

Shortall:
                                Fanfare for those who will not come back

Comment

Working...
                                X