Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schubert piano sonata in A minor Op.42 - quite a rarely performed work but certainly a great sonata and well worth getting to know. It lacks the immediacy I think of some of the earlier sonatas but repeat listenings reveal its subtleties.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Preston, what was your impression of the Mozart Concerto?

I listened to the #25, which is probably my favorite of them, and quite enjoyed the rendition. Also, listened to Clementi's Symphonies Nos. 1 and 3. The first, I thought was better, but I did enjoy both.

Comment

I was surprised by the darker themes in the 1st and 3rd movements when I first heard it. I guess I was just not expecting them. I like the 3rd mov. a lot. Overall, I enjoyed it- and think it is time for another box set- Mozart. Thanks for asking, Sorrano.

I am currently listening to and reading a little about the 25th concerto... I have never heard it either.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

I've been listening to Bach's Moose Quartet (Bach as in P. D. Q.), with the "Muss es sein?" (Is it a muss?) and "Es muss sein" (It is a muss!).

Comment

Haydn's Emperor Quartet.
            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Rachmaninov's Vespers.
              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

LvB Eroica, the Scherzo : a super, foot-stomping (at the right pace) movement that I danced to with my young daughter of 6 years. What fun ! Who needs to sit in a stuffy concert hall when you can play it at nearly ear-splitting volume on the Hi Fi. Besides, it annoys my (French) neighbours no end.

Comment

Sounds to me like a great way to enjoy the music!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    I've been listening to Bach's Moose Quartet (Bach as in P. D. Q.), with the "Muss es sein?" (Is it a muss?) and "Es muss sein" (It is a muss!).
                    Sorrano, I had to comment because everytime I see this post of yours I start laughing!

The moose quartet- Is it a moose? It must be a moose!

LOL! Literally, I am laughing now! Thanks for that joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      LvB Eroica, the Scherzo... I danced to with my young daughter of 6 years. What fun !
                      That sounds like it will become a beautiful memory Philip. It is always good to get things like that on video camera!

Comment

This morning it was Ives' Symphony No. 3. For some reason I had the urge to go to Church.

Anyone else an Ives fan?

Comment

This morning the radio presented the Overture to "Das Liebesverbot", as well as the Prelude to "Parsifal", Wagner's first and last Operas. It's amazing what a little maturity can do for a composer.

Comment

With reference to Henryk Mikołaj Górecki's death today, I am decidedly not listening to his Symphony of Sorrows (N° 3). May I explain? I was going to post the link to a short article from the Guardian newspaper, but this has now been updated and I can no longer find reference to the cant I abhor. So, relying on my memory, I can relate what "got my goat", so to speak.
                            The original article writer related Górecki's uncompromising advice to would-be musicians (and aspiring composers studying under him) : "If you can live without music for 3 or 4 days, better you give up music and spend your time with a beer or a girlfriend".
                            Let us look closely at this nonsense. All musicians (in his view) are - by definition - male (or, at a push, lesbian). Quite.
                            Furthermore, how is one to define "living without music for 3 or 4 days"? Not hearing the art, or not practicing (in whatever guise) the art? There are days when I "go without music" in any applied sense, but music is around us at all times. Can I go without actually playing music for several days at end? Yes, easily, especially on holiday. I call this sort of journalism "cant" because it reinforces the ridiculous reification of the composer/musician as "aesthete" or "mystic".
                            Last edited by Quijote; 11-12-2010, 05:09 PM. Reason: Missing negative clause

Comment

Beer or girlfriend? We note the priority.

Comment

Sorry to go off topic momentarily, but in a French bar when you ask for "une blonde" it means a lager or Pils-style beer. As a gentleman, I do prefer both "blonde" and "blond".
                                Adieu, Górecki. I hope wherever you are you can drown your "sorrows" (Hah! See above) in the "blond(e)" of your choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X