Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haydn, Nikolaimesse, Academy of Ancient Music (Simon Preston, not Hogwood!) with the Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford.
    With boys' voices for the choir sopranos - delicious purity. Must be my chorister upbringing (born Catholic, educated à l'Anglican / Protestant, with a sadist of a music master, God rest his soul, the bastard), but this sends shivers (of pleasure) down my spine. I know I shouldn't say this, but I find this work (as performed on the CD in question) rather stimulates me in perhaps an unhealthy way. Music, sex and pleasure ...

By the way, an unusual time signature (for Haydn) in the opening Kyrie : 6/4. Curious. That said, no surprises why Beethoven had a certain trepidation composing his first Mass for Papa's boss. Not sure his first Mass in C comes quite up to scratch compared to Haydn, though clearly his (LvB's) Missa does rather go beyond what Joseph would have ever imagined.
    Last edited by Quijote; 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM. Reason: "Educated", not "educaetd". Pass the whip, Horatio, would you?

Comment

Yes, I reveal a little of my "education" : I was indeed a boy chorister! Glad my voice broke finally!! Still, a nice little earner in terms of pocket money. Hated all the ritual, mind you, and weekly practice with a sadist of a music master. Still, here I am today. No wonder I'm "troubled and twisted", hey?

Comment

I have Gardiner's and Hickox's recordings of that Mass. I'll have to check that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I have Gardiner's and Hickox's recordings of that Mass. I'll have to check that one out.
          Don't know those, Chris. The Simon Preston performance gives me that (unhealthy / sinful) physical reaction, so I can't say if Gardiner or Hickox (hah!) will do the same! That's for you to say. Ahem.

Comment

I might delete the posting above later. I'll check my "shame-cringe factor" rating tomorrow and decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              I might delete the posting above later. I'll check my "shame-cringe factor" rating tomorrow and decide.
              It's in my email, anyway, so deleting won't necessarily wipe it entirely <grin!>. I do love your posts; they are not boring in any way!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                It's in my email, anyway, so deleting won't necessarily wipe it entirely <grin!>. I do love your posts; they are not boring in any way!
                I'm very flattered you said that, Sorrano. Now please remind me, what was the sum we agreed via Private Message? You said you prefer cash, but can I pay you later?
                Last edited by Quijote; 10-12-2010, 05:09 PM. Reason: They're all Mafiosi, these Beethoven Forum posters!

Comment

Talking of Mafiosi (of the Welsh variety) : where is Roehrer these days with his listening lists? I know him from another forum (no advertising here, I'll thank you very much), and he never gives up. So, where is he? I think we should be told.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    Talking of Mafiosi (of the Welsh variety) : where is Roehrer these days with his listening lists? I know him from another forum (no advertising here, I'll thank you very much), and he never gives up. So, where is he? I think we should be told.
                    I've been wondering the same; those lists often provide listening inspiration.

Comment

This morning the radio presented the scherzo to Bruckner's 4th Symphony. This was performed by Sir Simon Rattle and the Berlin. It was not bad at all; it makes me curious how the rest of the symphony sounds under his baton.

Comment

A racy Haydn cello concerto , C major, 3rd movement.
                        Last edited by Megan; 10-17-2010, 07:21 AM.
                        ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

I've been hearing a lot of Debussy on the radio lately for some reason. He's never been one of my favorites, but some of his music can be enjoyable to listen to...though I hated playing it back in my piano lesson days.

Comment

Beethoven's early unfinished C major violin concerto - not impressed with this and can see why he abandoned it, the thematic material is just not interesting. Also the delightful Contre-dances WoO14 which include the famous Eroica tune.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Over morning toast and coffee -

Handel, Hercules Overture.

Tchaikovsky, violin concerto.

A little later, a beautiful piece from Scarlatti - Sonata K466.

Last edited by Megan; 10-19-2010, 08:23 AM.
                              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                                A racy Haydn cello concerto , C major, 3rd movement.
                                Great concerto, with a sizzling 3rd movement. Love it. And it all falls so easily under the fingers. Haydn was not a 'cellist, I believe. How is it that the 'cello writing is so very idiomatic?
                                Haydn (as you know) wrote two 'cello concertos. Why oh why couldn't Beethoven have written one, too? OK, we have the Triple, but it doesn't come close.

Comment

Working...
                                X