This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roehre:

Is there any piece of music that you haven't heard?

(This is not exasperation - merely admiration!)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Chris, I know you may have bought the complete King Stephen music some time ago. I think that the "Women's Chorus", which forms a large section of the overture, is one of the most beautiful tunes that B ever wrote. What do you think?
      Yes, I have King Stephan (and ALMOST everything else Beethoven wrote...almost), and I agree. I like all of the King Stephan music very much, actually, including the overture.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Roehre:

Is there any piece of music that you haven't heard?

(This is not exasperation - merely admiration!)
        Michael, only in the Vienna State Library there are some 10.000 scores of music already which have not been published and only are gathering dust.
        Therefore there MIGHT be some music which I haven't heard
        ==============

Today:

Honegger:
        Une Cantate de Noël (1953)

Schönberg:
        Weihnachtsmusik (1921)

From the Old Hall Manuscript (15th Century):
        6 Carols + Agnus Dei

Hely-Hutchinson:
        Carol-Symphony

Comment

Beethoven Diabelli Variations (Battersby, fortepiano)

Bach
          Book 2 of the 48, C major and F major P&F

Comment

Today:

Vaughan Williams:
            Hodie

JSBach:
            Cantata BWV 132 (for today: Advent 4)

Secular Cantatas BWV 213, 214 and 215
            All three containing material later used for the Weihnachts Oratorium

Comment

Today:

Herzogenberg:
              Die Geburt Christi Part III

Handel
              Messiah Part III

Comment

This morning:

Joan Baptista Pla: Flute Concerto in G

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  This morning:

Joan Baptista Pla: Flute Concerto in G
                  Dude! You found something really obscure, well done

(Lest I be misunderstood I am not being aggressive or making fun of you, just festive spirits!)

Comment

Originally posted by jamesofedinburgh View Post
                    Dude! You found something really obscure, well done

(Lest I be misunderstood I am not being aggressive or making fun of you, just festive spirits!)
                    This is the sort of the thing I hear on WFMT night radio. The local classical station broadcasts their program during the night, so when I wake up I catch the last half hour of their nightly broadcast. Most of the time I am very intrigued by what I hear and there are few disappointments.

Comment

Today:

Liszt:
                      Gaudeamus igitur and other pieces d’occasion
                      (Howard’s complete music on Hyperion vol.40)

Comment

Today, just after the dentist!

BRAHMS:
                        Variations on Haydn's "St. Antoni Chorale" for 2 pianos,

and on same CD:

Sonata in F Minor for Two Pianos, Op34b (I have the piano quintet version of this too).
                        Emanuel Ax/Yefim Bronfman

I think I prefer the Quintet version of the Op.34.

(Soon I'll be on CET and able to post blogs without a 10 hour time difference!)
                        Last edited by Bonn1827; 12-21-2010, 06:21 AM. Reason: Just bloodyminded, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                          Today, just after the dentist!

BRAHMS:
                          Variations on Haydn's "St. Antoni Chorale" for 2 pianos,

and on same CD:

Sonata in F Minor for Two Pianos, Op34b (I have the piano quintet version of this too).
                          Emanuel Ax/Yefim Bronfman

I think I prefer the Quintet version of the Op.34.

(Soon I'll be on CET and able to post blogs without a 10 hour time difference!)
                          The Quintet was originally written just for strings, then he made a 2 piano version and finally the best version, piano with strings. What a wonderful work it is and that glorious slow movement!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes, I knew that about the Piano Quintet and I agree with you about it being a wonderful work. I actually prefer the final movement; that slow, funereal section which precedes the coda - or what seems like it - just brings me to my knees! God, how I love Brahms.

I've just come home from a Xmas function and it's midnight. I feel right in the mood for more of this Brahms! No matter how energizing or enjoyable the company, in the end I seem to prefer the stimulation of music over practically everything else. Age seems to bring with it a certain eccentricity.

Comment

In speaking of earlier and not so often heard works of Mozart, the radio featured the Symphony No. 14 this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                                Age seems to bring with it a certain eccentricity.
                                Nah, I agree with you, as I always say, some pieces of music are more alive than some people will ever be.

My wife teases me and whenever Beethoven is mentioned (even on a sit-com, for goodness sake!) she makes the sign of the cross with two fingers of both hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X