Clear All

What are you listening to now?

To open the new thread my recent listening includes:

Wagner Lohengrin - Karajan/BPO.

Haydn Symphonies 34 and 39.

Mahler Symphony no.8

Vaughan-Williams - Symphony no.5
    'Man know thyself'

This morning it was (I believe) a Berlioz Piano/Orchestra Fantasy. It was a work that was not performed during his lifetime; I don't quite recall the brief history on this as this was the first thing I heard upon awakening.

I should add that last night it was Tsiolkovsky's 5th Symphony, a favorite of mine.

Comment

This morning on the radio it was Mozart's variations on Ah vous di...Ah vous...that French thing, but everyone calls it Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

And the Hammerklavier sonata has infected me once again, so this will no doubt be listened to many times over the next few days...

Comment

Bernstein's West Side Story can keep one awake in the morning. These were the Symphonic Dances orchestrated by someone other than Bernstein (I do not recall the radio announcer saying who it was).

Comment

The first eight numbered Beethoven piano sonatas.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            The first eight numbered Beethoven piano sonatas.
            That's a lot of sonatas to take in in one go, even if it is Beethoven!
            Listening to Tchaikovsky quartet no.1 - the other two will follow on consecutive days!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              That's a lot of sonatas to take in in one go, even if it is Beethoven!
              It was, but I was at work waiting for things to finish that did not require much attention from me. I put one on and just had to keep going!

At the moment: Continuing with Sonata No. 9!

Comment

For the past couple of weeks, I have been going through the Kempff recordings of the Beethoven piano sonatas, though not in any particular order.

Comment

After a raucous party next door of teenagers last night which kept me up till 2.00am being forced to listen to the most abominable racket combined with hysterical screams and obscenities (which for an hour at least I successfully drowned out with Act 3 from Parsifal on my mp3 player) This morning in contemplative mode with Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

After a raucous party next door of teenagers last night which kept me up till 2.00am being forced to listen to the most abominable racket combined with hysterical screams and obscenities (which for an hour at least I successfully drowned out with Act 3 from Parsifal on my mp3 player) This morning in contemplative mode with Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli.
                    That's awful!

I was listening to the first movement of the 21st Piano Concerto of Mozart and to my astonishment heard a direct quotation in the cadenza of the 40th Symphony. Does this occur in other recordings? Maybe I have not paid attention to this in the past!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      That's awful!

I was listening to the first movement of the 21st Piano Concerto of Mozart and to my astonishment heard a direct quotation in the cadenza of the 40th Symphony. Does this occur in other recordings? Maybe I have not paid attention to this in the past!
                      For a moment I got by Mozart concerto numbers mixed and was thinking of no.20 in D minor which does have some thematic similarities with the G minor symphony. Who wrote the cadenza?
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Tonight, surrounded by family, I'm listening to a compilation CD of the music of Leonard Bernstein called, "Leonard Bernstein's New York".

It features fabulous excerpts from his scores for "On the Town", "Wonderful Town", "West Side Story", and "Fancy Free". It features artists from the Broadway stage - including one Richard Meunz, who is simply brilliant singing "One Hand, One Heart" from 'West Side Story' and "Quiet Girl" from 'Wonderful Town' - this song and performance always brings me to my knees!!

Our family all loves the USA - my daughter has lived there, my son worked there, and two of my sisters just returned yesterday from NY - which one described as "Heaven on Earth"!! And the wonderful music of the US stage - who would be without it for a single minute!! Who cares about negativity in the world when we have such glorious things to look forward to and enjoy?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                          Tonight, surrounded by family, I'm listening to a compilation CD of the music of Leonard Bernstein called, "Leonard Bernstein's New York".

It features fabulous excerpts from his scores for "On the Town", "Wonderful Town", "West Side Story", and "Fancy Free". It features artists from the Broadway stage - including one Richard Meunz, who is simply brilliant singing "One Hand, One Heart" from 'West Side Story' and "Quiet Girl" from 'Wonderful Town' - this song and performance always brings me to my knees!!

Our family all loves the USA - my daughter has lived there, my son worked there, and two of my sisters just returned yesterday from NY - which one described as "Heaven on Earth"!! And the wonderful music of the US stage - who would be without it for a single minute!! Who cares about negativity in the world when we have such glorious things to look forward to and enjoy?
                          This morning I cannot even see the name Bernstein without that opening to Candid going through my head. That was on the radio this morning.

Comment

For a moment I got by Mozart concerto numbers mixed and was thinking of no.20 in D minor which does have some thematic similarities with the G minor symphony. Who wrote the cadenza?
                            Not sure on that. It's from the Brilliant Complete series. The theme fragment just came out of nowhere and left me scratching my head.

Comment

After a raucous party next door of teenagers last night which kept me up till 2.00am being forced to listen to the most abominable racket combined with hysterical screams and obscenities (which for an hour at least I successfully drowned out with Act 3 from Parsifal on my mp3 player)
                              Peter, the apartment I live in has quite a few college students and they can get quite noisy. So, I know where you are coming from. Fortunately, the security guard live right aross the hall from me, .
                              - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                              X