syncopation everywhere... !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
    These sentences really demonstrate the terrifying power of the maltreatment of punctuation, don't you think? In barricading the words "believe" and "perhaps" behind a comma the writer has demonstrated a subliminal confusion yet, at the same time (!), he accuses another of "madness"!! This juxtaposition is, as the White Rabbit would lament, very curious indeed. Is this particular example not, also, a kind of linguistic syncopation?

When one maltreats punctuation it, like, say, a "mad" relation, can become very unpredictable!! One should be very wary of such provocations: the consequences can be surprising!
    Bonn, I am sure you know far more about grammar than I. I am by no means an English major, as I imagine you are.

I simply use commas when I am trying to express a pause in speech, so that the words do not flow together so fastly, causing a misunderstanding of what I am saying.

I was kind of joking around with Philip, which I hope he understood.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
      Bonn, I am sure you know far more about grammar than I. I am by no means an English major, as I imagine you are.

I simply use commas when I am trying to express a pause in speech, so that the words do not flow together so fastly, causing a misunderstanding of what I am saying.

I was kind of joking around with Philip, which I hope he understood.
      Preston, please add several of those "smiley" icon thingies before I begin (meaning that I'm ribbing you kindly, for I am "reinvented" ["moderate" in my responses from now on]). Your use of commas does tend to "blur" your message, if I may say so! As to "fastly", please be aware that this adverb does not exist anymore in the English language. An example : Interest in Beethoven is growing fast (not "fastly").
      As to the English language, I believe I can claim superiority because I am a true (half Spanish - Hah!) Brit, whereas you are a poor Yanky ("Gringo") and Bonn is a former convict Aussie.
      QED - I rest my case, your Honour.

Comment

And yes, Preston, I know you were joking around with me. Don't be a naughty boy! Lord, I hope you don't apply your use of "commas" when you play music!! (A "comma" in music may be described as an interrupted cadence, e.g. the V-VI progression).

Comment

I mean, if you over-apply or misuse the V-VI progression we'll never get anywhere, will we?
          Come to Strasbourg, join my course, and then we'll see! Actually, I'd probably throw you out of the window in about 4.33 minutes (sorry John Cage).
          Icon : "smiley"

Comment

Glad to see you are in good spirits, Philip!
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Thank you, Preston! If you're glad, I'm even gladder!! By the way, if I throw you out of the window (in my harmony course) after approx. 4.33 minutes (thank you John Cage) I wouldn't worry too much because my course is given on the ground floor, so not too far to fall. Having said that, if I throw you out of my course via the window strapped to Peter's ageing and creaking (and probably poorly tuned) Bechstein that may be a different matter.
              Icon : "smiley". Or "smily". Bonn? Spelling check, if you please!

Comment

I remember when I was doing casual teaching one day. A frightful student said, "Miss, I'm going to jump out the window". We were on the ground floor and I coldly replied, "Wait a moment, if you please, until we jack the building up 3 floors!" He remained seated!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                  I remember when I was doing casual teaching one day. A frightful student said, "Miss, I'm going to jump out the window". We were on the ground floor and I coldly replied, "Wait a moment, if you please, until we jack the building up 3 floors!" He remained seated!
                  May we ask, Bonn, what drove your student to threaten such a thing? Really, it's a valid question. I have other (similar horror) stories to relate another time!
                  Normally I just throw them out of the window anyhow, whatever the floor. Or hammer a nail through their heads, whatever takes my fancy.

Comment

Peter, I didn't say nail their heads to a Bechstein. Though on reflection, would that not be fitting? Hah!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      May we ask, Bonn, what drove your student to threaten such a thing? Really, it's a valid question. I have other (similar horror) stories to relate another time!
                      Normally I just throw them out of the window anyhow, whatever the floor. Or hammer a nail through their heads, whatever takes my fancy.
                      The student in question was being asked to refrain from (a) abuse, (b) talking, (c) chewing gum, (d) other associated atrocities related to classroom discipline. I find humour goes such a long way in the classroom - as long as I'm telling the jokes and the students are doing the laughing...!!!!

Comment

[o! As to "fastly", please be aware that this adverb does not exist anymore in the English language. An example : Interest in Beethoven is growing fast (not "fastly").
                        As to the English language, I believe I can claim superiority because I am a true (half Spanish - Hah!) Brit, whereas you are a poor Yanky ("Gringo") and Bonn is a former convict Aussie.

You forgot a true (not-half-something-else!) MACARONI!
                        I still remember my English at school. I know the modern use of "fast"...
                        Bye!

Comment

Working...
                        X