The Great Fugue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Fugue

I have been listening to three different versions of Beethoven’s late B flat quartet over the past couple of days. I must have at least ten recordings of this work, which is probably my favourite of the last five, but every time I come to the end, I feel like giving Ludwig a swift boot in the rear. Why did he write that substitute finale? Was he really bowing to pressure from players and public – or did the thought of an alternative finale give him a new artistic challenge? What probably never crossed his mind was the dilemma he created for me and my CD collection.

I first heard this work in the summer of 1973 in a recording by the Amadeus quartet. The “Grosse Fuge” was included as an “extra” and I (being aware of its fearsome reputation) approached it with extreme caution. I can recall my first reaction very well – it didn’t sound like anything I had ever heard before – especially the uncouth rhythm of the first main section. But the sleeve notes quoted somebody as saying that if ever a piece of music justified the invention of the gramophone, it was the Fuge. That statement is absolutely true for only after countless listenings have I come to appreciate it.

To call it the “Great Fugue” is a misnomer because, like the finale of the Ninth Symphony, it has a number of distinct sections, not least a beautiful flowing middle section which follows five or six minutes of harsh counterpoint. This is followed by something resembling a scherzo and another finale, and this diversity within a single movement has enabled the work to stand alone down through the years to the detriment of the B flat quartet. The beautiful war-time recording by the Busch Quartet, for example, omits the Fuge but this may have been down to the recording limitations of 1942. Nowadays, it seems to have regained its place as the crowning glory of a sublime masterpiece and the attractive substitute is relegated to the status of an encore. That’s the way I listen, anyway.

But on the odd times I use the substitute finale, I approach the work differently. If the fugue is not used as the finale, then the intellectual (for want of a better word) weight falls upon the first movement and the whole piece can be viewed as a superior divertimento, with a light finale. Choose the fugal finale and you have a different beast altogether. What I am trying to say is that my choice of finale influences the way I listen to the preceding movements. The Lindsays have become very much aware of this and, in their latest recording, they include two versions of the Cavatina, the movement which immediately precedes the finale. You pick one version if you are playing the Fuge, and another if you choose the substitute finale. I don’t have this recording, but I would be curious to know what the differences are. All I know is that one version is nine seconds slower than the other.

Once or twice, I have asked someone to programme my CD player without telling me which finale has been chosen. This hasn’t helped much as I keep wondering, towards the end of the Cavatina, will I be greeted by the lilting strains of the substitute or the brutal attack of the Overtura.

Both finales have their devotees which effectively makes the B flat quartet one of the most problematical works in Beethoven’s canon. I wish he had left it alone – but then we would have lost a fine happy movement which turned out to be the last completed work he ever wrote.
    Last edited by Michael; 08-17-2010, 10:41 PM.

I usually listen to the substitute finale with the quartet, being Beethoven's final word on the matter, and since the Fugue works very well as a stand-alone work.

Which of your many recordings of the Fugue is your favorite?

Comment

Hard to say, as it depends on my mood. If a gun were put to my head (and most people think that would be a good idea) I would pick the Quartetto Italiano.

Comment

I'm trying to remember their version? Isn't it rather slow? Have you heard the recording by the Talich Quartet? I have always loved that one, and their Beethoven quartets in general.

Comment

Personally I prefer the grosse fuge as finale.

That makes IMO the whole quartet more balanced. Also it means a steady development from an opening movement which more or less states the material for the finale, a couple of light weight dances, passing the emotional hight point of the work (the Cavatina, of which Beethoven said that it time and again moved him to tears), to end with a Big Finale.

The substitute finale is sanctioned by Beethoven and thus is a completely legitimate solution, but IMO forms stylistically a less coherent quartet. It places the centre of gravity of the work firmly onto the opening movement (obviously the emotional highpoint stays with the Cavatina), which IMO is less satisfactory.

But: that does mean that the op 130 (with GF finale) would be the only one of the late quartets balanced in such a way, with a strong opening movement and very powerful last movement.
          In all the other works the balance is weighted towards the opening movement, with an emotional high point usually in the slow, or slowest movement (op 127, Heiliger Dankgesang, op 135, slow movt of 131) and a relatively short finale. Even the impassioned Allegro Appassionata of op 132 as a finale is still short and relatively classical in style.

This IS undeniably a very strong point in favour of the substitute finale, and, though there was unmistakingly pressure to replace the fugue, Beethoven might have felt/ thought along these lines as well.

If we look at movements which Beethoven amended or replaced AFTER completing and sometimes even after the premiere of a work, it most of the time had something to do with (re-)balancing.
          Examples:
          -scrapping the repeat of the scherzo in symphony 5;
          -replacing the Andante favori slow movement in the Waldstein sonata by the present introduction-like mvt to its finale;
          -using the originally planned finale of the violin sonata in A opus 30/1 as closing mvt for the Kreutzer;
          -replacing the finale rondo (now WoO 6) of the original version of the 2nd Piano concerto by the present finale;
          -adding approximately ten variations to the Diabelli cycle three years after completing the 1st -but never published as such- version
          -the Leonore-Fidelio saga was about balancing the work as well.

All of these changes of Beethoven's mind have got something to do in one way or another with -if you like- fine tuning the balance within these works.
          As Beethoven learnt of English editions of the Hammerklavier (the sonata cut into digestible parts of two mvts, one such edition even called "Fantasia and Fugue") he was furious, as it destroyed the concept of the work.

Apart from this, there is one aspect in the whole process of Beethoven's substituting the GF by the present finale which makes me weary of accepting that Beethoven himself considered this to be the best solution: it is IIRC the ONLY example where the composer changed chamber music following comments from the "public" and more especially the publisher.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Personally I prefer the grosse fuge as finale........
            But: that does mean that the op 130 (with GF finale) would be the only one of the late quartets balanced in such a way, with a strong opening movement and very powerful last movement.
            That is a very good point, Roehre. In fact, the only other late quartet with a (comparatively) powerful finale is the C sharp minor - the last movement of which is the only one in sonata form. The reverse seems to be true of the late piano sonatas, almost all of which are end-weighted, particularly the Hammerklavier and Opus 111.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              I'm trying to remember their version? Isn't it rather slow? Have you heard the recording by the Talich Quartet? I have always loved that one, and their Beethoven quartets in general.
              I don't have the Talich version which is highly rated. You are right about the Italianos - their Op 130 is quite slow in the outer movements, especially the opening which contains (as it should) the exposition repeat and can make the whole work sound top-heavy if you select the substitute finale. If I feel like a brisker version, I turn to the rarely-heard LaSalle recording (which DGG decided to include in their Beethoven edition). The Amadeus do a fine job also but, like the LaSalles, omit the exposition repeat in the first movement.

Comment

Thank you, all 3 of you, for this investigation of and personal response to the late, great string quartets! This is what I long to read on this site - intelligent, informed and passionate engagement.

(So much of what passes for serious music discussion - or has the potential to be - ends up being frivilous or redundant commentary.)

I'm only a recent convert to these wonderful and very challenging works by Beethoven and your comments and observations have enriched that for me and triggered a desire for further enquiry. All three of you the deserve the proverbial laurels around your foreheads for your service to music - and I'm being serious: we little recognize and value the contribution made to the world of art music by connisseurs and acolytes who have both the ability to influence others (and I'm not merely referring to critics here) and also to ensure its legacy is carried on to those lesser informed people who might otherwise not want to make the effort.

Comment

Inspired by this thread, this (late) afternoon I'm listening to LvB's String Quartet, A Minor, Op. 132, in particular the "Heiliger Dankgesang..." played by the Emerson Quartet.

This is drop-dead wonderful music. I've rushed into Solomon and in his "Late Beethoven.." he writes an essay entitled, "The Convalescent Soul" (dedicated, touchingly, to Alan Tyson). He says something about this work which really moves way beyond the realm of the physical and is, I think, an intelligent reading:

"Beethoven's sufferer - later convalescent - prays for deliverance more from a sickness of the soul than of the body. Alienated, he or she is cut off from nature by an unhappy consciousness. The possibility of redemption involves a severe trial, an illness, through which to find one's way back to love, to nature, to God, to the community" (p.62).

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                    Inspired by this thread, this (late) afternoon I'm listening to LvB's String Quartet, A Minor, Op. 132, in particular the "Heiliger Dankgesang..." played by the Emerson Quartet.

This is drop-dead wonderful music. p.62).
                    The Heiliger Dankgesang was not one of my favorites until I studied it in somewhat more detail, and now I play it a few times a week...

http://lvbandmore.blogspot.com/2010/08/810-beethovens-heiliger-dankgesang-from.html

RE: Grosse Fugue - My favorite version is by the Takacs Quartet, it clocks in at 14:34 and it is probably one of the fastest and most vicious interpretations around. I wonder if the interpretation of it would depend on whether it was performed as a standalone piece or as the finale to Op.130. Maybe it would be played "slower" if it were on its own. As far as the preferred way of listening to Op 130, I almost always play the Mvmt 1-5, the GF, and then Mvmt 6. The revised finale is so radically different from the GF that I always picture Beethoven saying "Oh, too difficult for you eh? Asinine louts! Perhaps a country dance would be more to your liking...hmmm this has some possibilities!"
                    Last edited by djmomo17; 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djmomo17 View Post
                      The revised finale is so radically different from the GF that I always picture Beethoven saying "Oh, too difficult for you eh? Asinine louts! Perhaps a country dance would be more to your liking...hmmm this has some possibilities!"
                      IMO this mvt, the very last piece completed by Beethoven, shows that he had entered, or was on the verge to enter, a new phase in his development, a kind of "return to the more simple classical form".

Finale 130, the whole of 135, and the survived part/sketches for a string quintet as well as a flute quintet (flute with 4 strings), together with B's wish to create music more in a handelian manner, seem to confim a stylistic rupture.

A Tenth symphony would have been a nice excercise in this respect, as the sketches for its 1st mvt are interspersed with those of (the 1st mvt of) the Ninth, but nevertheless seem to look backwards.

Comment

Click on this for a fascinating talk by Rob Kapilow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c-R544gF8s

(Just noticed that djmomo17 has already linked this in his blog)
                        Last edited by Michael; 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          IMO this mvt, the very last piece completed by Beethoven, shows that he had entered, or was on the verge to enter, a new phase in his development, a kind of "return to the more simple classical form".

Finale 130, the whole of 135, and the survived part/sketches for a string quintet as well as a flute quintet (flute with 4 strings), together with B's wish to create music more in a handelian manner, seem to confim a stylistic rupture.

A Tenth symphony would have been a nice excercise in this respect, as the sketches for its 1st mvt are interspersed with those of (the 1st mvt of) the Ninth, but nevertheless seem to look backwards.
                          Roehre, I presume you mean by this that LvB's more "simple classical form" was a trope for a shift towards an increasingly austere vision of music and, indeed, the world: that, at life's end, "less is more". A more "concentrated" form of music, possibly influenced by Bach who, even when trying to prove a musical point, was nothing less than profoundly musical.

Thanks for the link too, Michael.

Comment

Roehre, I presume you mean by this that LvB's more "simple classical form" was a trope for a shift towards an increasingly austere vision of music and, indeed, the world: that, at life's end, "less is more". A more "concentrated" form of music, possibly influenced by Bach who, even when trying to prove a musical point, was nothing less than profoundly musical.
                            I think "Austere" is a proper expression of this "new style" of B's.
                            Whether it would be Bach as main influence is doubtful IMO, B himself expressed his increasing interest in Handel, as was earlier demonstrated already by passages in the Missa solemnis and the whole of the Weihe-des-Hauses overture.

Whether is has got anything to do with "at life's end" is IMO note very likely. Beethoven did not realise that he might not survive until some six weeks before his death (end of January 1827 that is). The beginning of what eventually became the final illness coincides with the beginning of the pneumonia following the awful return to Vienna from his brother's estate in Gneixendorf in November 1826. At that time Finale 130 had been completed already.

Comment

When I say "end of life" I don't mean that there would necessarily be an awareness of impending death per se. I think it has to do with a sensibility of the inevitability of mortality in general and, perhaps, a reappraisal of values which comes with being a certain age, together with the fact that Beethoven's social and communal world was ever-diminishing. I don't think it unreasonable to suspect (and, really, this is all I'm doing - this is deeply conjectural) that there was a link between this and his musical philosophy. That's what I meant when I suggested that LvB's use of more austere classical forms could be perceived as a trope.
                              Last edited by Bonn1827; 08-19-2010, 05:45 AM. Reason: Lord, what fools these mortals be!!

Comment

Working...
                              X