Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name Day Celebration?

Hi, everyone!

I'm back from vacation and already I have a question! I was listening to my classical radio station the other day and they played something by Beethoven called "Name Day Celebration Overture." (I'm not sure I have the name right). Could anyone tell me some background information on this piece?

Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 08-29-2001).]
    'Truth and beauty joined'

The overture Zur Namensfeier was so called because by pure coincidence it was first performed on the Emperor's Name-day in 1815. Beethoven noted this fact, but he didn't give the work its title which was simply 'Overture by LvBthvn'. It also became known as 'La Chasse' because of its prevailing 6/8 rhythm. Sketches for the piece date back along with sketches for the 7th and 8th symphonies to 1809 where B noted 'overture for every occasion or use in concerts' - i.e for the first time he had written an overture for its own sake - a concert overture.

The work has suffered from neglect and has been readily dismissed in the past - I think it's great fun!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks, Peter. It is a fun piece and it was fun to listen to this piece especially since I hadn't heard it before. I guess it has been neglected.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        ..I guess it has been neglected.
        You can say that again, which is why by coincidence I mentioned this piece specifically in the 'new work' chain. It could qualify for the 'rare works' page at this site!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Did you by any chance hear that piece on August 25, Joy? That is the feastday of St. Louis and Beethoven's Name Day.

Mary

Comment

Originally posted by MCS:
            Did you by any chance hear that piece on August 25, Joy? That is the feastday of St. Louis and Beethoven's Name Day.

Mary
            Actually, that is the day I heard it, Mary.
            Thanks for pointing out that bit of information, I hadn't realized that. The radio station did not mention that fact, however, when it played the piece. I wonder if they knew or if it was all a big coincidence?!!

Joy

Comment

Working...
            X