Music Printing and Publishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music Printing and Publishing

Looking through a miniature score today, of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4, I was wondering about the printing and publishing process. For example, how were these scores produced? I would like to know something about the mechanics of the actual operation of printing, plus the processes involved prior to this, eg. copyists, editors, etc. Can anybody enlighten me, and also what was Beethoven's role in the process as the composer? I think he did his own "corrections" before a final print "run"?

My understanding is that B wrote sketches, then organized them into a manuscript (autograph score), a copyist would rewrite it so it would be legible for a printer, then a printer would print a proof copy for B's approval. After B made corrections the corrected proof would go to engravers who would engrave the printing plates. Then a certain number of these scores would be printed and distributed (sometimes to people who had pre-paid - ie - subscribers). Then after a short time they would go into a larger print run and shortly after that they would be pirated by other publishers in other countries. Kind of like how mp3s are nowadays....

The above is from memory so don't take it as gospel

Comment

These "subscription" editions were limited to an agreed number of copies, but publishers often knock off extra copies and sell them on the side. There is a famous incident where Beethoven caught a publisher selling knock-off copies of his quintet opus 16. Beethoven asked for these copies saying that there were errors that had to be corrected. Beethoven and Ries "corrected" the copies in such a way that they could not be used.
      "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
        For example, how were these scores produced? I would like to know something about the mechanics of the actual operation of printing, plus the processes involved prior to this, eg. copyists, editors, etc. Can anybody enlighten me, and also what was Beethoven's role in the process as the composer? I think he did his own "corrections" before a final print "run"?
        Bonnie,
        ARNOLD, Denis and Nigel FORTUNE [Eds.], The Beethoven Companion, Faber paperback,
        has a section with two chapters dedicated to this:
        VI.Practical matters:
        12. Sketches and Autographs (pp.443-458) and
        13.Steps-to-Publication - and Beyond (pp.459-492),
        both by Alan Tyson.
        Very informative, very readable.

Comment

Thanks for that references, Roehre. (I vaguely remember this book from my undergraduate years - the names are so familiar.)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
            Bonnie,
            ARNOLD, Denis and Nigel FORTUNE [Eds.], The Beethoven Companion, Faber paperback,
            has a section with two chapters dedicated to this:
            VI.Practical matters:
            12. Sketches and Autographs (pp.443-458) and
            13.Steps-to-Publication - and Beyond (pp.459-492),
            both by Alan Tyson.
            Very informative, very readable.
            Based on your recommendation Roehre I got this book used from Amazon and the chapters you mention were a great read - thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X