Just discovered Beethoven last year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just discovered Beethoven last year...

Hi, been lurking for awhile and decided to say hello! I just 'discovered' Beethoven last summer when I came into the DG Complete Edition, followed soon after by the Brilliant Classics box. Prior to that I was only familiar with the nicknamed piano sonatas, the first 8 measures of the 5th Symphony and the Ode to Joy theme. For the last 20 years I've been involved with mostly so-called 'new music' and free improvisation. So you could say being exposed to so much of B.'s music opened up alot of doors! And possibly grew some more creases in the brain sponge.

Anyways I hope to participate more actively in the discussions here (tho the musical erudition here is surely intimidating) and I should mention I just started a (hopefully) daily blog about Beethoven...

http://lvbandmore.blogspot.com/

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum! How did you get hold of the DGG Complete edition?
    The last time I looked, it was going for an astronomical amount. Anyway, that and the Brilliant edition should keep you going. Don't overdose!

Comment

Yes welcome to the forum - it's always good to hear how people first come to know Beethoven's music and it sounds like it was a revelation! Very nice personal page you have too.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        ..Anyway, that and the Brilliant edition should keep you going. Don't overdose!
        Well it certainly was an interesting experience mainlining the symphonies, then the string quartets, the piano sonatas...all the way down to the folk songs. My first time through the sonatas was a complete and utter blur. After the 3rd time through I started noticing that some were funnier than others, some were
        extremely modern-sounding, some were just exploding from beginning to end. The last time (listening to Badura-Skoda's superb period set) I went through them with scores in hand and again it was pretty eye-opening. Just jaw-dropping genius.

Comment

Wow, you just discovered Beethoven last year. Better late than never I always say...

Welcome to the forum djmomo17. Greetings from Beethoven's Heiligenstadt.
          "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
            Wow, you just discovered Beethoven last year. Better late than never I always say...
            The weird thing is I generally 'discovered' his works in chronological order - so when I finally got to the Diabelli Variations and the Late Quartets I felt like calling up a friend and telling him about this 'crazy new stuff' that Beethoven was coming out with. Except of course, it came out almost 200 years ago...

(and thanks for the warms welcomes all!)

Comment

OK, I'm new here. Browsing around random forum threads, I'm asking myself "What is a Robert Newman discussion? And why is he banned?"

Comment

Originally posted by djmomo17 View Post
                OK, I'm new here. Browsing around random forum threads, I'm asking myself "What is a Robert Newman discussion? And why is he banned?"
                I have sent you a private message on this issue because the banning of members is not something for public discussion. Disputes and issues concerning members can be discussed with the administrators through private messages.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                X