BBC Proms Archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Proms Archive

The BBC have launched a new Proms website which lists every performance as far back as 1895. A few amazing facts have emerged. For example, the most performed composer is Wagner with 5892 works. Beethoven comes in a poor second with a measly 2818.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/archive/

Thanks for that Michael - very appropriate with the imminent start of the new season. Certainly very surprising findings - I would have thought Mozart would have the highest number of performances considering his output. I managed to find my old teacher's performance of the Bach concerto for 4 pianos in 1948!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      The BBC have launched a new Proms website which lists every performance as far back as 1895. A few amazing facts have emerged. For example, the most performed composer is Wagner with 5892 works. Beethoven comes in a poor second with a measly 2818.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/archive/
      Uh, oh, he didn't make No. one this time!!
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
        Uh, oh, he didn't make No. one this time!!
        Can't win them all!

But Wagner?

Comment

Quite a number of people have been amazed at the fact that Wagner has been the most-played composer at the Proms since it started in the 1880s. If the Proms were an opera festival, it would be understandable but it is primarily a concert-hall festival. As the list will show, Wagner was represented in bleeding chunks, with the "Tannhauser" overture heading the list.
          And all of this through two World Wars against Germany!

(Totally unrelated: After Germany's defeat, I fancy Holland over Spain. In the World Cup, not the World War.)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

(Totally unrelated: After Germany's defeat, I fancy Holland over Spain. In the World Cup, not the World War.)
            That should be some game on Sunday!! If I have my facts right Spain has never reached the final before. The Dutch have, I believe, a couple of times.
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
            X