Question about Piano Sonatas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Piano Sonatas

Right now I'm working on the 'Pathetique' sonata. When I finish it I want to start on the 'Moonlight' or 'Appassionata'. Which one would be better? Maybe it's a stupid question. I know all the sonatas are great but the Appassionata gives me goosebumps when I listen to the ALLEGRO MA NON TROPPO, I don't know =\.

The "Appassionata" is quite a bit more difficult than the "Pathetique," so be prepared. The 3rd movement of the "Moonlight" is also quite difficult. I personally would not suggest either one to follow the "Pathetique," but if you must do one of those two, I'd go with the "Moonlight."

Comment

Try opus 10 n° 3...

Claudie

------------------
      Claudie
      Claudie

Comment

The first sonata I did of B. was the 14th, if you are on the 8th (wich I consider more difficult than the 14th) I suggest you to chosse between 12th, 14th or 15th.
        The whole "14th Sonata is VERY difficult" is a myt, don't get intimidated by that.
        "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Hi Chris,

Why do you not recommend either "Moonlight" or "Appasionata" to follow the Pathetique? Is there any specific reason besides difficulty?

Interested,
          Vipercat

Comment

That's pretty much it. There is a HUGE difference in difficulty between the two.

Comment

I love the "Appassionata" so much. It is the reason I began piano, and I am currently studying the piece. I am complete with the third movement, I wanted to begin with the most difficult movement. It is much more difficult than Pathetique, so I advise you to really consider "Appassionata." I work very hard, and if you are willing to devote countless hours for "Appassionata," go for it. I would choose it over "Moonlight" Sonata. You must listen to other Beethoven Sonatas, they are some great ones. I still prefer "Appassionata." Like you, it just touches me in that special way. I am also working on "Les Adieux." You might consider Op. 10 No. 3 in D Major or Op. 109 in E Major. I hope this reply helps you in some manner. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!

Comment

Working...
              X