Beethoven Heard at the Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    It has a "work without opus" number but I can't think of it at the moment. I just wonder where the BBC got hold of it.
    I believe that is WoO 23.

I don't know what the red icon which has appeared above my message is meant to represent. I hope it doesn't mean anything nasty. I didn't pick it out.
    It is a thumbs down icon. You must have selected it by accident!

Comment

[...] Philip, please don't pounce on any typos you may see in my postings. I am undergoing treatment for an eye condition at the moment which may explain my desultory appearances in this forum [...]
      Sorry to hear that Michael. I sympathise, I too have an eye condition (glaucoma [spelling?]). Probably explains why I am boggle-eyed.

Comment

Eye have this I condition, you see, but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
          Sorry to hear that Michael. I sympathise, I too have an eye condition (glaucoma [spelling?]). Probably explains why I am boggle-eyed.
          Philip, your prose is not one bit boggle-eyed. (Is that mixing metaphors or similes or what?) I have just been diagnosed with macular degeneration in my left eye but I am being treated for it. But it does affect my vision on the computer monitor. It affects the centre of one's vision, I think. Glaucoma - and I may be totally wrong - affects the peripheral vision, does it not? Does it cause tunnel vision?

It may explain why you are totally fixated and I am flitting around?

Anyway, to get back on topic, my son and daughter have become very adept at spotting Beethoven works in movies or television programmes. My daughter recently pointed out to me that the slow movement of the Emperor Concerto was played on Coronation Street. There is hope for us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            I believe that is WoO 23.
            And it's a very attractive piece. Have you heard it?

Comment

And it's a very attractive piece. Have you heard it?
              I've listened to the MIDI at the Unheard Beethoven site, but I'm not aware of any actual recording of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                I've listened to the MIDI at the Unheard Beethoven site, but I'm not aware of any actual recording of it.
                The two "complete" boxed sets that came out in 2007 have included it. The piano version by Czerny seems to be the only version available and it's quite short.

Comment

Maybe it will turn up on a single disc eventually, because I don't think I want to buy a boxset of every single work of Beethoven's (nearly all of which I have already) just for WoO 23! There will always be a few odds and ends that elude my collection anyway, sadly...

Comment

I recently watched a movie called The Pianist through Netflix. I think I remember hearing one short sample of a Beethoven piece used near the end? The movie primarily consisted of Chopin's music. It is based on the memoirs of a virtuoso pianist named Władysław Szpilman.
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Multi-point post

Saw Harry Potter this past weekend. Fur Elise. Used in a scene where Hermione is teaching Ron how to play piano...

Awesome time-lapse video using B's 9th:
                      http://vimeo.com/15595689

Featuring the Immortal Beloved letters on my blog today....
                      http://lvbandmore.blogspot.com/2010/...autograph.html
                      The Daily Beethoven

Comment

Working...
                      X