Beethoven and Haydn Folksong Arrangements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip View Post
    Thank you, Hofrat. I take it then that the mini quiz launched by Chris ("Is the kilt Haydn or Beethoven") has only one player?
    No, I was away when the quiz started. I have heard Beethoven's rendition of "Auld Lang Syne" and it did not sound like either of the examples. I had a hunch that Chris set a trap. But it was most interesting hearing the two renditions Chris gave.
    "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
      No, I was away when the quiz started. I have heard Beethoven's rendition of "Auld Lang Syne" and it did not sound like either of the examples. I had a hunch that Chris set a trap. But it was most interesting hearing the two renditions Chris gave.
      Allez, Hofrat, play the game! Which of the two examples Chris gives above is Haydn, and which is the other composer?

Comment

I assure you that one is by Beethoven and the other is by Haydn. No tricks here. I will leave it open for a few more days.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I assure you that one is by Beethoven and the other is by Haydn. No tricks here. I will leave it open for a few more days.
          Chris is right. I wasn't familiar with the other arrangement but I recognised the Beethoven. No tricks.

Comment

I, too, was not familiar with the arrangements. Though, I was actually right, which surprised me, because, I do not usually do to good with lieder.

Here are the main reasons I chose thought the piece that was Beethoven was Beethoven (keep in mind that I pretty much know nothing of form or real theory- so do not expect much- and as I said, lieder are a weak point of mine, but what isn't):

- Immediately I recognized a more Haydnesque sound with the runs (I guess you would call them), or fast playing of the individual notes on the piano.

- With the Beethoven piece, I noticed more weighted chords at the opening- that seem to continue throughout the piece, for a lot of it at least- and even if the chords did not have the bass they had, there seemed to be something more Beethovian about it.

- The biggest give away for me was the voice. The voice in Beethoven's is articulated completely different than the Haydn. It sounds more similar to the Beethoven lieder I have heard.
            - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Well, it seems no one else is going to give this a try, so now for the answer.

No. 1 - Beethoven
              No. 2 - Haydn

So Philip was indeed correct. Well done, Philip!

Comment

Well, it seems no one else is going to give this a try, so now for the answer.

No. 1 - Beethoven
                No. 2 - Haydn

So Philip was indeed correct. Well done, Philip!
                I hope my prize will be a bottle of good whisky. Please, don't tell me it's a KILT!!!!!

Comment

Only the best for you, Philip:

Comment

Chris, it seems unfair that Philip gets the liquor when Michael and I who also got it right get none, .

So, Michael let us share a drink of this (in one night) in celebration. What kind of liquor it is, I do not know, if it is real or not, I know. Though, it sure is big, so thats got to count for something!!!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Preston; 07-02-2010, 07:14 PM.
                    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Why isn't it Paddy? There were Irish as well as Scottish songs in the arrangements.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Why isn't it Paddy? There were Irish as well as Scottish songs in the arrangements.
                        Yes, Beethoven arranged a variety of folksongs, and the Irish ones are great. Oddly, though Haydn arranged many more than Beethoven, he only arranged Scottish songs (and some Welsh).

Comment

Thank you, Chris. Cheers!

Comment

Yes, Beethoven arranged a variety of folksongs, and the Irish ones are great. Oddly, though Haydn arranged many more than Beethoven, he only arranged Scottish songs (and some Welsh).
                            A few days ago, I caught a very interesting Haydn documentary on BBC 4 and a good deal of it was devoted to his Scottish folksong arrangements. It featured the "Auld Lang Syne" that you posted above.
                            Unfortunately, it also featured the conductor, Charles Hazelwood, singing the same song in a kilt. (Seriously).

Comment

Working...
                            X