Beethoven and Haydn Folksong Arrangements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and Haydn Folksong Arrangements

If you follow the "What are you listening to now?" threads, you may have read that, having already loved the Beethoven folksong arrangements, I recently been exploring the Haydn folksong arrangements. Perhaps we could have some discussion on these pieces here, but first I would like to give a little quiz.

Both Beethoven and Haydn made arrangements of the well-known Scottish song "Auld Lang Syne." Links to recordings of both of them follow. Can you tell which is by Beethoven and which is by Haydn? Give us your guess and your reasons for it. If you know for a fact, don't spoil it by saying so.

Auld Lang Syne 1
    Auld Lang Syne 2

ALS 1 : Beethoven.
    ALS 2 : "Papa".

Reasons:
    The ALS 1 : F major. More adventurous opening piano harmonies; an almost redundant 'cello part in the early measures (for me an echo of the solo 'cello in the 3rd movt., 4th piano concerto); use of Sfz; echos of the "Diabelli"?
    The ALS 2 : F major. More seemingly repetitive; very classical piano figuration - a bit like a tartan kilt?

That is my honest answer, I don't know the folk songs, and I never wear kilts. That said, many years ago in Madrid (in August, therefore baking hot) I came across two Scottish tourists (male, clearly) in full kilt mode (i.e. thick woollen garments). Qué locos !!
    Last edited by Quijote; 06-24-2010, 01:38 PM. Reason: Did I guess wrong?

Comment

Thanks for that, Chris. Fascinating. Couldn't compete as I had inside info.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
        ALS 1 : Beethoven.
        ALS 2 : "Papa".

Reasons:
        The ALS 1 : F major. More adventurous opening piano harmonies; an almost redundant 'cello part in the early measures (for me an echo of the solo 'cello in the 3rd movt., 4th piano concerto); use of Sfz; echos of the "Diabelli"?
        The ALS 2 : F major. More seemingly repetitive; very classical piano figuration - a bit like a tartan kilt?

That is my honest answer, I don't know the folk songs, and I never wear kilts. That said, many years ago in Madrid (in August, therefore baking hot) I came across two Scottish tourists (male, clearly) in full kilt mode (i.e. thick woollen garments). Qué locos !!
        Nicely reasoned, Philip.
        Like Michael I cannot compete, as I know both quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          Nicely reasoned, Philip.
          Like Michael I cannot compete, as I know both quite well.
          I know very well that when Roehre says "nicely reasoned Philip" that I am completely wrong. Oh well, I tried. Now, where's that kilt I must wear in penance ...

Comment

And do I have to wait a long time before Chris gives us the final coup de grâce? Put me out of my misery via Private Message would you? A curse on 'ye (in a cod- Scottish accent), Chris !

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
              And do I have to wait a long time before Chris gives us the final coup de grâce? Put me out of my misery via Private Message would you? A curse on 'ye (in a cod- Scottish accent), Chris !
              I'll put you out of your misery, Philip. Both arrangements are by Kozeluch, a much greater composer than the two mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I'll put you out of your misery, Philip. Both arrangements are by Kozeluch, a much greater composer than the two mentioned above.
                You make me miserable. Icon. The smiley one.

Comment

Peter : you are tardy. Come on, money where your mouth is.

Comment

Damn.

Comment

I have a confession : I have no idea what Auld Lang Syne means. Old Long Syne? What is a "Syne"?
                      Anyway, did you know that here in Alsace the "Kilt hunting" season begins in late November? Our local regional council pays hunters 60€ per kilt as they have become somewhat overpopulated and require culling. You get an extra 10€ if you shoot a kilt in possession of a haggis. If you shoot a kilt who happens to be a tenor in mid-song, you get a gold medal.

Comment

I suggest you go easy on the Scotch, Philip.

Comment

According to "The Works of Robert Burns," syne means since or then.
                          "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hofrat View Post
                            According to "The Works of Robert Burns," syne means since or then.
                            Thank you, Hofrat. I take it then that the mini quiz launched by Chris ("Is the kilt Haydn or Beethoven") has only one player?

Comment

By the way, "top hole" to Roehre and Michael for their honesty. Large "magnum" of Bordeaux for my (honest & right/wrong) contribution. Anyone else going to have a go or not? I wish to spread the shame/glory.

Comment

Working...
                              X