Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's hard to listen to the Bach solo cello suites and then NOT listen to the Bach solo violin sonatas and partitas, so that's what it is today. The recording by Rachel Podger. Hers is probably the best version on Baroque violin, but honestly I'm surprised that many of the big names in Baroque violin haven't even recorded them. Andrew Manze? Simon Standage? There was brilliant recording on Baroque violin by...some guy...I can't remember the name at the moment...that would have blown all the others away, but alas, it was ruined by being totally bathed in reverb.

On another note, I was rear-ended last week, and am currently driving a rental car, which has XM radio. There are some nice classical channels on there. This morning I was driving to work, and was forced to choose between a Chopin mazurka, Schubert's 2nd symphony, and Falstaff. Decisions, decisions!

Comment

Today:

Nat King Cole:
      Sweet Lorraine (Burwell/Parish 1928)

Hugh Wood:
      Piano concerto opus 31 (1989/’91)

-

Gershwin:
      I got Rhythm
      Variations on I got Rhythm

-

Paisiello:
      La molinara: Nel cor piu non mi sento

Beethoven:
      Variations on Nel cor piu no mi sento, WoO 70

Count Moritz von Lichnowsky:
      Variations on a theme of Paisiello

-
      Busnois
      Fortuna desperate

Agricola:
      Fortuna desperata

Desprez
      Fortuna desperata
      Missa Fortuna desperata

Comment

Bax symphony no.3 - not sure what to make of it, perhaps further listenings required but not exactly overwhelmed by it.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning the radio presented a couple of legends from Sibelius' Lemminkäinen Suite.

Comment

Listening to Haydn's London trios and and a few other divertimenti from Hob. IV. Good recording, and one of the only ones I could find on modern instruments. My only complaint is that the disc is only 55 minutes long and they left three of the divertimenti out. Um...why? There was probably enough room on the disc for the rest of them! It's not like recording three more little pieces would cost that much more.

Comment

Michael Haydn - Flute Concerto in D major
              Joseph Haydn - 6 Scherzandi
              Leopold Hofmann - Flute Concerto in D major

Michael gets overshadowed by his brother of course, but he was a good composer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

Michael gets overshadowed by his brother of course, but he was a good composer.
                Thanks, Chris.
                Been listening to Beethoven's "Les Adieux" played by Brendel.

Comment

When the radio came on this morning Respighi's "Brazilian Impressions" was playing. My ear quickly caught the dies irae excerpt, and later, when Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, 4th movement, was on I wondered how he might have handled that theme in a variation setting. Regarding Respighi, I think he is much underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    Philip, the forum is what you make of it. Not always will you have people to respond as you would like, we all have differing time constraints. However, there are people here who can and will respond on a level that will more fit your style. Frankly, I look forwards to your posts and discussions, even though I am not always up to par on the topics. They give me much food for thought and I do like food.

On topic, I've been listening to Bruckner's 3rd Symphony, performed by Osmo Vanska with the Scottish Symphony Orchestra (1877 version with the 1876 adagio).
                    I bow, Sir, to your wisdom. I bow -doubly so - to your choice of Bruckner.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      Well you're like my father, now on his 5th 'last' car! Sorrano has hit the nail on the head - time is often the main element in preventing the thesis you require in responses. Hopefully with the holidays approaching I will have a little more of it to spare!
                      Noted. Cars rust, they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        Listening to the Bach solo cello suites played by Paolo Beschi on a Baroque cello. Electrifying. This is the best performance of these pieces I have heard on a Baroque cello. These discs will have a place of honor on my shelf right next to the Rostropovich recordings of these pieces.
                        Thank you for the "heads up" on that one; I will check it out. Really, the Rostropovich I can pass on - there is little in his performance of the suites to my ears that "augments" the work . On the other hand, there is no better performance of the Britten 'cello suites than our dear Russian friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          Please don't misinterpret my remarks, it was meant in jest and not intended as a 'personal swipe' - I simply meant Philip has often left but that he loves us so much he simply has to return, sometimes the bait of John Cage is needed!
                          Noted. As I type (Sunday 18 July), I am on the eve of my departure to Vienna for 4 days. I will do the expected "Beethoven stuff", then I think I shall take a "sabbatical" from the forum. I hope you will allow me a few comments post-Vienna to give you my impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                            Thank you for the "heads up" on that one; I will check it out. Really, the Rostropovich I can pass on - there is little in his performance of the suites to my ears that "augments" the work . On the other hand, there is no better performance of the Britten 'cello suites than our dear Russian friend.
                            And Chris (sorry to quote myself above; always suspect) : please do check out the Benjamin Britten 'cello suites, I think they will be very much to your taste. Our "Russian" friend plays them to (near) perfection, if such a thing can be said.

Comment

[...] Our "Russian" friend plays them to (near) perfection, if such a thing can be said.
                              No such thing can be said, of course. Given that Britten wrote these suites for "Rostro", they are, to date, the best performance I have yet to hear. Whilst I live, I look forward to other masterly performances ...

Comment

I hope you will allow me a few comments post-Vienna to give you my impressions.
                                Philip, how about a thread with some good pictures, also?
                                - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                                X