Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening to the 1st movement of the 9th. Using a midi file, Reaper, and Garritan Personal Orchestra. I finally, figured out to get the midi file to work in real-time with GPO and Reaper. So, I am pretty excited.

The things you can do after you understand how to use the VSTi are unbelievable. Such as, if I want to hear only the flute part for the entire 9th by itself- it can be done with ease, changing of articulations, reverb, etc.- so many things- and for my ears one of the more important aspects when listening to the 1st mov. of the 9th is the tempo- which with the VSTi and midi file I can do exactly how I like it. It is really fascinating! It makes it so that you truly are the conductor and beyond!
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
      Listening to the 1st movement of the 9th. Using a midi file, Reaper, and Garritan Personal Orchestra. I finally, figured out to get the midi file to work in real-time with GPO and Reaper. So, I am pretty excited.

The things you can do after you understand how to use the VSTi are unbelievable. Such as, if I want to hear only the flute part for the entire 9th by itself- it can be done with ease, changing of articulations, reverb, etc.- so many things- and for my ears one of the more important aspects when listening to the 1st mov. of the 9th is the tempo- which with the VSTi and midi file I can do exactly how I like it. It is really fascinating! It makes it so that you truly are the conductor and beyond!
      Now that is a useful tool Preston - listening to the individual parts is of great value.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Now that is a useful tool Preston - listening to the individual parts is of great value.
        Yes, all too true. It helps me understand what is going on in a piece better, and it is good for understanding better how a piece works together. And, all it takes to hear an individual part is one click of the mouse button- to solo the instrument.

Just want to mention this- one of the reasons I slow the tempo, especially with a piece of music like the 9th, is so I can hear more of what is happening in the piece. Such as, each instrument, articulation, etc. For me, when listening to the 9th at the standard tempo- one thing is, I cannot follow it as well, and the second is, I cannot hear all of the instruments.

My DAW (digital audio workstation) is kind of complex, well more so expensive. Though, I want to mention this because if you ever wanted a DAW setup, it does not have to be expensive.

In fact, while I am not aware of you computer specs, you might easily be able to set one up for around $200! You do not need a keyboard, or a fancy sound card, or nice speakers (you can actually use the basic speakers that you plug into the motherboard sound card as long as they have a sub-woofer (which you do need).

So, all you would need to do is depending on your sound card download ASIO4ALL (which will give you ASIO support (a must), and it is free), then since you can sight read you need a score-writer for the midi file (MuseScore- which is decent and is free), then get a sequencer such as Reaper (great program, btw) for $60, and then get Garritan Personal Orchestra (which can be downloaded if you have broadband internet) for $149.95 (GPO is the key, it is the VSTi which is the program that contains the instruments).

http://www.asio4all.com/
        http://musescore.org/
        http://www.reaper.fm/
        http://www.garritan.com/index.php?op...=154&Itemid=54

So, for exactly $209.95 you could get started today.

Also, MuseScore is only a score-writer, not a midi-editor- though, Reaper is a midi-editor.

Now, all of this talk of software brings me to a point. I will create a new thread about it.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

As this post ties in with the 'how do you listen thread', well I really am 'listening' Philip to the first book of Iberia by Albeniz as I'm studying the pieces myself, so I have score and pencil in hand and numerous hearings as well as study at the piano.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today:

Novak:
            Eternal longing op.33 (1904/’05)

Louis Andriessen:
            De Volharding (1972 premiere recording)

Ferneyhough:
            Lemma-Ikon-Epigram (1981)

Stockhausen:
            Klavierstück IX, X and XI

Berio:
            Sequenza IV (1966)

Comment

Franz Berwald:

Battle of Leipzig
              Concerto for 2 violins and orchestra
              Introduction and variations for violin and orchestra
              2 overtures
              "Is it not strange that sheep guts should hale souls out of men's bodies?"

Comment

Today:

Gardner:
                Symphony no.3 in e op.189 (1989)

Kruger:
                Suite picturale (1948)

Mertzig:
                Rapsodie choréographique (1947)

Coltrane:
                Blue Train (the September 1957 Blue Note album)
                Soultrane (the February 1958 Blue Note album)

Desprez:
                Missa La sol fa re mi

Comment

Today:

JSBach:
                  2 Cantatas for the Feast of the Visitation of Mary (Today: July 2nd)
                  BWV 147 “Herz und Mund und Tat und Leben”
                  BWV 10 „Meine Seel' erhebt den Herren“

Maxwell Davies:
                  St.Francis of Assissi-overture (2009)
                  Proverb (2010)

John Coltrane:
                  Dakar (February 1957 Blue Note album)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    [...] and it took me a while to realise that most of the earlier compositions are masterpieces in their own right. Like you, Preston, I have become fascinated by the first two piano concertos, which can so easily be overshadowed by the last three [...]
                    I think Michael you (and I) have always said the early works are "gems" in themselves, and I certainly have never entered into spurious arguments about which works are "better".

That said, here's an interesting extract of something Brahms was reported to have said in 1896 :

"Yes, the C Minor [Mozart] Concerto : a marvellous work of art and filled with inspired ideas ! I also find that, for example, Beethoven’s C Minor Concerto is much smaller and weaker than Mozart’s. You know how much I revere Beethoven ! I perfectly understand that Beethoven’s new personality and the new viewpoint that his works disclosed to the public, seemed to them greater and more significant. But already fifty years later [c. 1850] one had to alter that opinion. One had to distinguish the excitement of what was new from its inner value. I admit that the Beethoven concerto is more modern, but it is not as significant ! I also see that Beethoven’s First Symphony seemed so colossal to its first audiences. It has indeed a new viewpoint ! But the last three Mozart symphonies are much more significant. Now and then people realise that this is so."

Comment

Anyway, rather baking hot here in Strasbourg today, so I need something to cool me down. What shall it be?
                      Webern : Five Pieces, Op. 10. (A mere 4'27".)

That did the trick.
                      Last edited by Quijote; 07-03-2010, 04:05 PM. Reason: Just taken off my kilt. That's better.

Comment

I was cooled down by Anton above, but now I'm all hot and bothered again (because Germany has just beaten Argentina). Time for something more radical :
                        Georges APERGHIS : Sept crimes de l'amour (1979).

Not sure about "crimes of love", but as my "significant other" is German I fear WWIII is on the horizon...
                        Last edited by Quijote; 07-03-2010, 04:18 PM. Reason: Will Catholic Spain come to the rescue, I ask?

Comment

Today:

Lipatti:
                          Vioin sonatina opus 1 (1933) (R3: TtN)

Novak:
                          South Bohemian suite opus 64 (1937)

Miles Davis:
                          Miles ahead (1957 Columbia Album)

Comment

Berlioz - Harold in Italy
                            Mozart - Divertimento in Eb k.563
                            Scriabin - Sonata no.6
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              Mozart - Divertimento in Eb k.563
                              One of my most favorite pieces of music!!!
                              Zevy

Comment

Today:

JSBach:
                                Cantate BWV 88 (1726, for the 5th Sunday following Trinity: today)

Ives:
                                A Holidays Symphony (including The Fourth of July)

Ella Fitzgerald:
                                The Cole Porter Songbook (the 1957 Verve Album)

Comment

Working...
                                X