Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

of these 3 modern pianos which do you feel is suited best for playing Beethoven...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

of these 3 modern pianos which do you feel is suited best for playing Beethoven...

The three best modern pianos I know of are the Bechstein, Steinway, and Bosendorfer. I was wondering which piano you prefer Beethoven to be played on?

I think I am leaning towards the Bechstein, but am waiting to vote because I wish to hear what you all think?
    Bechstein
    16.67%
    Steinway
    50.00%
    Bosendorfer
    33.33%
    Last edited by Preston; 06-18-2010, 10:27 AM.
    - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

That very much depends on the individual Bechstein ect.. as no two are exactly alike! Also a Bechstein of today is not the same as one from the 1920s/30s (nor Steinway for that matter) when they were at their best and owned by the companies concerned. Goodness knows who owns Bechstein now - it is just a brand name.

I'm fortunate in owning a 1929 Bechstein grand so naturally I would say it is the best piano! As for playing Beethoven - the great Schnabel recorded his sonata cycle in the 30's on a Bechstein so I rest my case!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter, I quite like your choice! I thought I would mention this, also. Some people say the Bosendorfer is the best piano for Beethoven's music because of its power. I completely disagree. It is a powerhouse, though, it lacks the sensitivity. I do not like it when people immediately associate Beethoven wholly with power- therefore resulting in saying something such as- Ah Beethoven! The BOSENDORFER is meant for Beethoven!

Also, I did not know that Schnabel recorded the piano sonata's on a Bechstein. I knew he recorded the piano sonatas. How is the sound quality of the recordings Peter?
      Last edited by Preston; 06-18-2010, 12:05 PM.

Comment

To say Bechstein, Bosendorfer, and Steinway- is too general as Peter mentioned.

What I am trying to say is about the current classical pianos, such as, the ones used today. To be more specific the Bechstein D-280 Concert Grand Piano, Steinway-D Concert Grand, and Bosendorfer 290 Concert Grand. I believe these are the best of the best in current times.

You can download mp3 files of each piano here:
        http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest...pr-EW-171.html

However, do not base your decision specifically on the models I mentioned. Because, you may have never heard them. Base it around your understanding of each piano- such as the Steinway is the most used and is often considered the best all around piano for its tone, bass, sensitivity, etc., while the Bechstein is known for its handling of delicateness, well rounded tone, very good sensitivity, and still has a good amount of strength (though does not have the power of the Steinway or Bosendorfer), and the Bosendorfer is primarily known for its power, it is a power house of a piano and supposedly lacks delicacy.

Comment

The reason I am thinking about voting for the Bechstein is because, yes, Beethoven's music is powerful but I do not think a Bosendorfer is the answer for that power. It seems to me the Bechstein may be the best choice because, think about it, Beethoven wrote his piano sonatas for the forte-piano. I do believe that Beethoven wanted the sound of the modern pianos of today, though, would the Bosendorfer not be too much? Since the Bechstein has good tone and plenty of strong bass- is that not enough? Or would it be the Steinway for its all around use, and its amazing sound?

Hope that makes sense, just trying to figure this out and get some help along the way, .

Comment

In the 19th and early 20th century Bechstein were considered the best pianos in the world, having the edge over Steinway. As for power Preston, remember Liszt owned Bechsteins - they are powerful instruments. I think Bosendorfer have a less brilliant sound and are well suited to the warm Viennese music of Schubert.

As to the sound quality of Schnabel's recordings well it isn't great compared with today but that's the price you have to pay if you want to hear one of the greatest Beethoven interpreters - however Preston his performances are generally fast!
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Personally I have always favored the Steinway by a bit.

Comment

I should add of course that it really doesn't matter what the piano is - it's the pianist who counts!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  I should add of course that it really doesn't matter what the piano is - it's the pianist who counts!
                  A rather late afterthought of yours Peter, but I am relieved someone finally made a more pertinent comment on this thread. Did Steinways, Bechsteins or Bosendorfers (or even Yamahas - not bad pianos at all) exist in Beethoven's day? No, as far as I know. What piano suits Beethoven performance today? The answer can only be purely subjective.
                  It is true that the "hardware" one deploys was often the early HIP movement's credo, but of course that is only a small part of the equation, and has more or less been discredited.
                  In any case, to turn the argument somewhat, I'm sure you all know the expression "a bad workman always blames his tools".

I abstain from the vote.
                  Last edited by Quijote; 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM. Reason: Abstention from poor piano politics. (Dig the alliteration) and change of adjective

Comment

Interestlingly, the music faculty where I teach (or rather, where they sometimes "unleash me" on unsuspecting 2nd year degree and 1st year Masters students) has an ancient and creaky Bosendorfer, a splendid Steinway and several new(ish) Yamahas. I give my harmony classes on the Yamahas.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                      A rather late afterthought of yours Peter, but I am relieved someone finally made an intelligent comment on this thread.
                      Philip, your sarcastic attitude never ceases to out do itself, .

I thought the piano of choice is an important one. I would have put Yamaha but they typically are used for Pop, Blues, etc. and more contempory music, to my understanding. Of course, the pianist is the key but what piano would the pianist choose to use, that is the question.
                      Last edited by Preston; 06-20-2010, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Whether intelligent or pertinent (see my "last edited by" comment above), I see the raging debate has been settled definitively. Yes, it's a hung, popular piano-preference plebiscite, no doubt about it.
                        Last edited by Quijote; 06-21-2010, 10:18 AM. Reason: Dig, if you will, the alliteration.

Comment

It was either the Steinway or the Bechstein. I voted for the Steinway. The reason being is because when concerning modern pianos I feel that it is a very well made and a very masterful instrument.

Comment

All pianos are equal, but some are more equal than others - particularly in temperament!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
                              All pianos are equal, but some are more equal than others - particularly in temperament!!
                              First, I will respond to your joke- .

Now, I must ask do you really believe all pianos are equal?

Comment

Working...
                              X