Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

of these 3 modern pianos which do you feel is suited best for playing Beethoven...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Preston View Post
    First, I will respond to your joke- .

Now, I must ask do you really believe all pianos are equal?
    See George Orwell about this.

Comment

I see the popular piano-preference plebiscite has perchance putatively permutated. All bets are off. Watch this space ...

Comment

Originally posted by Bonn1827 View Post
        See George Orwell about this.
        If you are referring to Orwell's political beliefs (which I find very touching) then I guess you are saying that the pianos are equal???- at least I think that is the reference? Though, I really don't know.

Either way, the 3 modern pianos mentioned do have a distinctly different sound from one another.
        - I hope, or I could not live. - written by H.G. Wells

Comment

Thought some of you might be interested in watching this. It is a video that demostrates each of the three pianos, 4 counting the Yamaha. EastWest put a lot of work into this library- 2 years!

http://media.soundsonline.com/tutori...P_Tutorial.mov (around 311mb)

Comment

All pianos are equal, but some are more equal than others - particularly in temperament!!
            What do you think, Bonn? Is your ear of such superhuman ability that you can actually hear what piano the performer is using? I always thought I had a good ear, but finally I must accept it is not the case.

Comment

Now here's a real question : I mentioned recently (on the "What are you listening to now" thread) a piece I heard (en passant, or rather, en conduisant) on my car radio by Fanny Hensel (aka Fanny Mendelssohn). The honest thing is this : whilst listening (and not knowing who the composer was) I had two questions flash through my ears-mind : is it a woman playing, or is it a woman composer? Nonsense? Let us debate it.
              Last edited by Quijote; 06-21-2010, 09:23 PM. Reason: Gender, style, and performance aspects?

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                What do you think, Bonn? Is your ear of such superhuman ability that you can actually hear what piano the performer is using? I always thought I had a good ear, but finally I must accept it is not the case.
                Actually, I was being facetious when I quoted George Orwell's "Animal Farm",

"All animals are equal; some are more equal than others". I was make a humorous reference to the piano idea, which obviously fell flat (ooogh! sorry).

Comment

Actually, I was being facetious when I quoted George Orwell's "Animal Farm" [...].
                  Yes, I got that Bonn. You missed my irony, didn't you?

Comment

Explain it please. On second thoughts, don't. This thread is boring me rigid.
                    Last edited by Bonn1827; 06-22-2010, 08:49 AM. Reason: Rigidity and oneupmanship

Comment

What, you don't find it interesting that this popular piano-preference plebiscite is permanently and putatively permutating?
                      Oh, it seems the voting's over. So, who won?

Comment

OK, Philip, I just got it!! See - a seniors moment!! Be afraid - be very afraid!!

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                          Oh, it seems the voting's over. So, who won?
                          I take it you have gone partially blind or it is just your sarcastic way being itself again, please tell, ? Either way, it seems it was a tie between the Steinway and the Bosendorfer- at least so far, perhaps there will be another vote. The polls are just a way to keep track, and IMO, can be fun for a thread.
                          Last edited by Preston; 06-22-2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I recently bought the piano collection from East West. The Bosendorfer does sound quite unique, and well rounded. The Steinway may be the best all round piano, especially when you have so many different styles. Though, with Beethoven it probably depends on the piece. The Bos. has a less brilliant sound (which I think Peter said), which seems, to me, somewhat suiting for Beethoven. The Bos. does not have as much of a harmonic sound as the others in the collection, it seems. Though, it is so rich in its nature, so deep, heavy, yet soft at the same time, etc. It is an amazing sounding piano.

I think if one were to be precise, they would use the different pianos for individual pieces, when concerning Beethoven?

Comment

Originally posted by Preston View Post
                              I recently bought the piano collection from East West. The Bosendorfer does sound quite unique, and well rounded. The Steinway may be the best all round piano, especially when you have so many different styles. Though, with Beethoven it probably depends on the piece. The Bos. has a less brilliant sound (which I think Peter said), which seems, to me, somewhat suiting for Beethoven. The Bos. does not have as much of a harmonic sound as the others in the collection, it seems. Though, it is so rich in its nature, so deep, heavy, yet soft at the same time, etc. It is an amazing sounding piano.

I think if one were to be precise, they would use the different pianos for individual pieces, when concerning Beethoven?
                              Well if you are going down the 'precise' road we're back to the Fortepianos of Beethoven's day and none of the instruments in your poll are right - a Conrad Graf was one of the best Viennese pianos.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                Well if you are going down the 'precise' road we're back to the Fortepianos of Beethoven's day and none of the instruments in your poll are right - a Conrad Graf was one of the best Viennese pianos.
                                Not that precise, . Though, you do raise the question- modern vs period. I imagine the modern pianos are more what the composers would have wanted, they are more of a mastered piano, it seems? What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                                X