Requiem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requiem?

Can anyone tell me the music played at Beethovens funeral?

I believe one of them was the Mozart requiem-which was also played at Chopin's funeral.I guess sort of the standard funeral of the day back then.

Comment

Thanks for that........much appreciated.
      Trying to solve a pub argument!
      Cheers...Dermot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dermotmac:
        Thanks for that........much appreciated.
        Trying to solve a pub argument!
        Cheers...Dermot.

Well I hope you didn't tell them that at the pub or you'd be in for an expensive round! Mozart's Requiem was not played at Beethoven's funeral.
        The music consisted of a Chorale from William Tell by B.A.Weber. A 4 part chorus arrangement by Seyfried of Beethoven's Equali for Trombones set to words from the Psalms. During the Church service a 16 voice male choir sang the hymn Libere me, Domine, de morte aeterna by Seyfried.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm really impressed.......thank you Peter.
          If I'm buying anyone a drink it should be you! Do you know if that funeral music compilation is available on a CD?

Dermot

Comment

Do you know if that funeral music compilation is available on a CD?

Dermot
            The only recording I know of the three Equali is a double CD set of B's complete music for wind. Strictly speaking, this compilation is for wind only - no piano or strings, etc.
            The set is on DGG 453779-2 but it's bad value (commercially speaking!) if you just want the Equali as the three works together run to less than five minutes! They are performed by the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble.
            I think Rod might know of a single disc that contains these works. I can't remember if they have featured in the Rare Works or not. My pre-World War 2 computer doesn't fancy MP3's.

Michael

Comment

I'm really impressed.......thank you Peter.
              If I'm buying anyone a drink it should be you! Do you know if that funeral music compilation is available on a CD?

Dermot
              You won't find all the music from the funeral service on one CD - indeed I think you'll be hard put to find any of it as it was performed on that occasion. The 3 equali for trombone are available in the version suggested by Michael, but a cheaper option would be the Ottetto Italiano on Arts label.

I don't know where you'd get hold of Seyfried's adaption of this piece or the Hymn he wrote.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
              X